NOOB question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by debilorrah, Nov 5, 2009.

1. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Dang it all! Ken was messing with the bator because the stupid instructions said to keep the temp between 99.3 and 99.6 - I have read everywhere 99-101 is ok. Am I right?????

2. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Yes

3. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Is it your Brinsea?

4. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Both ore good.

5. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

real okay of course, mine 36-48 C (sorry we use C here) + everyday power failure (i gave them CO2 supply everyday) [​IMG] and i got 30% rate.

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:Yes it is. Ken bought a digital thermometer yesterday because he can't read the one that came with the bator. It was 100 so he lowered them temp - now it has been 97.9 ALL NIGHT!!!!! He is gonna ruin the first hatch. He is living and breathing by the book that came with the bator. I told him people HERE have experience!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

7. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Debi, what's your hatch date? We'll be hatching just days apart!!! [​IMG]

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Quote:CO2? Do you mean O2? CO2 would suffocate them.

37-38 is a good range, and spikes here and there for short periods usually don't do damage.

Ideally 99.5 is the best, but 99-101 is just fine.

9. Lensters

Lensters Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Adair Village, OR
    Quote:Yes it is. Ken bought a digital thermometer yesterday because he can't read the one that came with the bator. It was 100 so he lowered them temp - now it has been 97.9 ALL NIGHT!!!!! He is gonna ruin the first hatch. He is living and breathing by the book that came with the bator. I told him people HERE have experience!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

People here have some experience but the people at Brinsea make a living at it. The smaller the swing, the higher the hatch percentage.

Did you run the incubator and let it stabilize before adding the eggs? That is the time to learn how much adjustment is needed. However, drop to 97.9 early in the development isn't a problem at all. Just try to have it settled out (peferably between 99.0 and 100.0) before the second week or you might start having development issues.

Also be aware that most thermometers are only accurate +/-1.2 degrees so you really don't know that precisely where you are at, unless you have calibrated your thermometer recently (or purchased a thermometer that was more expensive than your incubator).

10. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:CO2? Do you mean O2? CO2 would suffocate them.

37-38 is a good range, and spikes here and there for short periods usually don't do damage.

Ideally 99.5 is the best, but 99-101 is just fine.

well, surely i need to write more detail in order to not misleading or make misinterpret [​IMG] .

yes, CO2, due to everyday power failure in this, oh please [​IMG] *beloved* country, i need to provide them kerosene lamp as substitute heat supply of my bulb, and the kerosene lamp did *consumed* the O2 and released the CO2 and CO which suffocate and kill the embryos (and me if concentrate is high).

yes i know 37-38 is good range but don't be sure to have that range here, when power failure happen, you'll have to stop whatever you did at that time and hurry up lighten kerosene lamp as heat source, and that useless man at power company love to shut down my whole house power for 2 times per day but when i pay the electricity bill late for 1 day then i'll get fined. i hope there's other power company as the opponent so the national power company will boost its productivity and not only playing with that power switch. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by