Noob question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Fredster, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Fredster

Fredster Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Alabama
    Hi, all.

I stuck 30 eggs in a new Hovabator 1588 last Thursday, my first attempt at doing this. Today, the humidity was getting a little low, and while I had the top off to add more water, I candled several of the eggs just for grins.

Where the eggs had been clear (I candled them when I was putting them in, to see what they looked like) before, most have now formed a dark ring around the center.

This is good, right? It means they're growing? Or are they starting to spoil inside?

I see people referring to eggs as just turning into "blood rings" and wasn't sure if mine are doing well or poorly. I know there's not much to see at 5 days in, but since I know exactly squat about hatching eggs other than the basics of temp and humidity, I thought I'd ask the experts to make sure. [​IMG]

Dark rings are a good sign this early, yes?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Is there just the dark ring? If there's just a dark ring and no veins and a small dark spot (the embryo) that means the embryos have died. I wouldn't throw them out tho since this is your first time doing this. I'd leave them in and candle again in a few days.

3. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
  4. Fredster

Feb 21, 2007
    Alabama
    Hmm. They don't really look like either picture. I'm starting to wonder if I'm just looking at yolk. [​IMG]

5. Fredster

Feb 21, 2007
    Alabama
    Alright, I just went back and candled 5 eggs. One was clear, and of the other four, I'm pretty sure the dark thick ring is just the yolk.

BUT

Those four all had a dark floating spot at the top, and a definite spidering of veins, WOOT!

I feel like a dad now, and I've still got 15 or 16 days to go.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  6. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

You should see a lot more at around 10 days. By then, it's much easier to tell a clear from a baby. [​IMG]

7. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    Congratulations, Dad! [​IMG]

8. Fredster

Feb 21, 2007
    Alabama
    Here's a picture I snapped last night when I was looking the second time. I didn't have time to upload it and post it then. I sent it to family members, so I labeled it for them. I know you guys all know the parts. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. tat2edlady

tat2edlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    love the pic and who cares about the dirty nails LOL to funny

Mindy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by