Noob question

rayb

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 14, 2008
Actually two...

At what age can we begin throwing in crickets and grasshoppers into the brooder for the chicks?

At what age can we start taking them on short adventures into the yard to free range? They are trying so hard to get out to the "light".

Mine are 9 days old today.

Thanks

You can throw in the bugs any time. They won't know what to do at first but once it clicks MAN what a race!

You can take them outside but stay with them. I have a mostly bare spot in the lee of the house that I use for chickie expeditions. Just watch out for cats, dogs and other predators when they are little.

BTW
welcome-byc.gif

Thanks.

We would definitely be with them. We live on 10 acres and have only one neighbor down the road so no cats or dogs to deal with except ours. We would definitely stay with them.

Sounds like an adventure is in store for tonight.

Thanks again.

If you are going to start offering them bugs and treats you need to give them grit immediately. I always just sprinkle it over their food.

They will love being outside once they get over their initial "Oh my goodness... where are we?" phase. Keep a good close eye on them, especially for hawks at this age.

Have fun!

No problem!
I love sitting on a milk crate listening to happy peeping! Really relaxing!!

Also, I think carrying them in and out by hand keeps them tamer. I give them their fresh food when they come back to the brooder, so they get used to a routine and also to me scooping them up being a GOOD thing.
My hens get treat food after they free-range every afternoon (only when we're home), so feeding the babes after free play sets that pattern in motion.

We lightly sprinkled grit over their food the 2nd day we had them. Last night I put another feeder in with grit so they have it whenever they want now.

Between my wife and kids, they get held alot. They are getting very comfortable being held and usually just hunker down and go to sleep.

We plan on only letting them free range when we are home and can be outside with them. At least until they are full grown. Then we will let them out when we are home then its back in the run/coop.

Thanks for the replies.
Ray

Back
Top Bottom