Noob With a Mystery Chicken

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Mama Chook, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Mama Chook

Mama Chook New Egg

Aug 24, 2013
    San Diego, CA
    Hi all. I have enjoyed the wealth of knowledge to be found here and would now like to tap it a little more. Here's a little background.

We picked up 3 new girls today from a feed supply store that we have purchased from in the past. We live in the city (no roos allowed) and so traded back "Cindy," a beautiful Ameraucauna. She/he has been under suspicion for a few weeks and provided the solid evidence this AM by crowing us awake at 5:30.
    Anyhow, today we picked up a Black Australorp, a Dominique and a mystery girl, bringing our little family to 16. We have 2 Delawares (only ones currently laying), 1 Barred Rock, 1 California Gray, 1 each Blue and Black Copper Marans, 2 RIRs, 1Cream Legbar, 1 Black Cochin, 1 Ameraucauna, 1 Partridge Wyandotte, and 1 Lavender Orpington. We have a huge backyard and a large coop and run. we've cordoned off a roomy corner for the new comers so that there is a look/no touch policy in force.
    Now for my question. I'm no chicken photographer but here's my best attempt on the mystery bird. Any ID help would be most appreciated. The girl in question is the black and white one. I think Lavender, an obvious camera hog, has snuck in here too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    it is an easter egger and im pretty sure it is a cockerel. But how old is it?

3. Mama Chook

Mama Chook New Egg

Aug 24, 2013
    San Diego, CA
    We were told that it was around 10 weeks.

4. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    agree it's EE and does look very boyish...

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I agree with the above. Can you get a shot of the comb?

6. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    10 weeks looks about right and i still say its a cockerel

7. Mama Chook

Mama Chook New Egg

Aug 24, 2013
    San Diego, CA
    Okay. Here is a better shot. Could you fill me in as to what I should be seeing to tell me "cockerel." My gender discrimination is clearly poor but I am a life-long learner.[​IMG] Thanks for your patience!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Easter Egger cockerel.

9. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Quote:I usually just sex by feather pattern. But in this case I looked at both feather pattern and comb. Black and white EEs usually through people off (they usually automatically say male and they arent always male that is why with this color I look at more to prove that it is a cockerel).Anyways the biggest giveaway is it has a pretty big red comb for its age.

10. Mama Chook

Mama Chook New Egg

Aug 24, 2013
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks all. Back he goes. Thanks for the pointers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by