Noobie Question About Laying Hens

RanchGranny

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 13, 2008
La Center, WA
So, here it is... sorry if this is really ignorant, but I'm a little worried about my girls. The four of them hatched in late February this year, and three have started laying in the past couple of weeks. Thing is, the coop is really close to the house and I can hear them in there in the morning. At least, I can now. There used to be just a little quiet clucking which you could rarely hear in the house. Now it sounds like they're screaming their heads off in the morning, and when I check on them, there aren't any predators or anything about that would make them yell. I'm left to wonder, is laying eggs initially painful for them? If so, does it become more comfortable for them as time goes on? I mean, I'm still amazed at God's creation of the process of birds/eggs to begin with. But if one compares it to our own childbirth process ... sorry, but can't imagine going thru that on a daily basis! :eek: Someone please tell me that's not what's happening to my little chickens!

Silly but worried grandmother-hen in La Center, WA ...

They raise a noise when they lay as a way of anouncing to the world that they have just laid an egg-kind of like bragging. Mine were really noisy when they first started laying but, are not as bad now.

smile.png
Well, that's a great relief - thanks! I was about ready to buy some KY Jelly, slap on the rubber gloves and look for the right place to apply it on a chicken, lol!

Apparently, all I have are hens who are exceptionally proud of their hard work - not a bad way to be when you're putting out a superior product!
wink.png

Thanks again for the peace of mind!

Still Silly in Washington!

Back
Top Bottom