noobie question: eggs from the same bird.

Discussion in 'Quail' started by jyphotog, Jun 12, 2011.

1. jyphotog

jyphotog Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2011
    If they are hatched, can they be mated? Would it be incest or is it ok?

2. Griffin Nest

Griffin Nest Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    no that's inbreeding

it will cause infertility and many of the offspring to have deformities

3. Axle Quails

Axle Quails Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    London
    i agree with top post [​IMG]

I always try and get away from interbreeding because it could cause them to come out wrong and not live long

4. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    I would disagree to a point. It happens all the time. Some do it for a color or size, but its done alot. Its my understanding that fertility will suffer in the long run too thou. Bill

5. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    True, issues will crop up... generations and generations later. Inbreeding is used for developing very good traits, such as good meat production or good egg production. (It also has a nasty habit of fostering bad issues, like great danes and leg/back problems etc. etc.) As long as you refresh the blood after a few generations (Or yearly in some farm's cases) then you will be fine.

But that's in my opninon.... [​IMG]

6. jyphotog

jyphotog Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2011
    Ok, I guess what I am trying to get at is...

I am planning on buying two dozen hatching eggs tomorrow. I am assuming they will be from different birds, but will I be able to breed from these 24 eggs?

7. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Yes, you can breed them to each other.... Bill

8. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:Most definitely! Have fun with all them birds!

9. If breeding will be an ongoing thing, just bring in some others and make sure you know who is who. When that times comes. There are some color traits IN OTHER ANIIMALS that can only come from inbreeding. So it probably goes with quail as the same.

10. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Not really a problem with coturnix. Unless inbreeding perpetuates a bad trait.

Let's say that a small breeding colony of 25 coturnix. That breeding colony can produce X amount of eggs in a season, and as long as you are producing eggs from that colony, then you will be fine. That is generation 1.
    You can keep that model up and running for a good 12+ months. (Trust me, people do it all the time). Every egg is for sale here or on ebay. They keep this model going at infanitum, because it pays the bills.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by