Noon Whistle

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by woodmort, Sep 17, 2011.

1. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Just out of curiosity how many of you live in a place where there is still a noon whistle? I've been talking through FB to an number of people who grew up and still live in my hometown. Back in the day the firehouse whistle always blew at noon but, apparently, now it just does on Wednesday and Saturday. Where I currently live the fire whistle--actually a horn--blows every day at noon. If I understand it correctly it was an old tradition that was used when not everyone carried watches so the farmers and townsfolk knew it was lunch time--also it kept everyone in the area on the same time.

2. HLAC

HLAC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    Central Utah
    We have an everyday noon whistle here. It's the firestation siren that they use for calling in the firefighters/EMTs (all volunteer station here) and for the tornado warnings.

3. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Two of the towns we are close to have noon whistles. We can hear them both, even though we are about 6 miles from each. One I know is the firehouse siren, and we hear it every time it goes off, whether it be noon or not. So we always know when something's up...

4. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Around Christmas time I can hear the church's bells playing Christmas music while I'm deer hunting.

5. bkreugar

bkreugar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Asheboro NC
    I am in a small central NC town and we still have some factories downtown. The whistle blows at 7 for start of work 12 for lunch and 3:30 for end of day. I am roughly 3 miles away from them.

Our downtown is actually thriving with restruants/diners, small antique stores, small mom and pop stores, a few banks and a large church and big box pharmacy. ALso have MILES of sidewalks that I run my daily miles on ( Ia m not alone).I really think the town does a great job with culture/activities/ running the downtown.

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I used to live in a itty bitty place which had one church with an incredible set of bells. Everyday at noon, the pastor would play those bells.

7. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    I grew up in a town with a noon whistle. I worked at and lived on a state Prison unit that had a noon whistle.

8. chickendiva25

chickendiva25 I'm a Spy. :3

Quote:There's still a Noon whistle where I live, I don't know how long its been there though. Its about a Mile from my house, so we can hear it loud and clear.

9. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Ours sounds off at 10 pm, the curfew time (for kids at least [​IMG]) It also alarms for fires.

10. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    It seems to sound here every day besides the weekend.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by