NOOO!! Accident with quail feed D:

Discussion in 'Quail' started by magicpigeon, Aug 2, 2011.

1. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    I've just realised that I've been feeding my quails chick starter instead of their gamebird feed for a week. [​IMG] Will they not reach their full size? I was considering butchering at some stage if I got a male.. but they're tiny as of now (3 weeks) and I'm fearing my mistake will keep them midgety forever... [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. CarriageStone

CarriageStone Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2010
    I've been feeding mine a 20% Chick Starter all along. They're just fine. In fact, I just hatched 15 out of 20 eggs of theirs. They started laying at about the 8 week mark and they all have good size. I wouldn't worry too terribly much. [​IMG]

3. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

i wouldn't worry about it as long as you switch it out for the proper 28-30% of protein now that you've realized the mistake.

@Carriagestone....20% protein is MUCH to low, especially for breeders.Also be sure your feed is NON - medicated as this will cause issues in the long run for your breeders.

4. CarriageStone

Jun 10, 2010
    Mine are growing perfectly fine on 20%. They are laying consistently as well.

5. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    they will grow fine.....GBS is just better for them, i know people that feed quail chick feed(tho i NEVER would myself)

6. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    GBS is only good for the first 6 weeks if you have Coturnix. After that you should go to lower protein. Cbbq (buttons) can go to a maintenance after 8-9 weeks.

7. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Quote:Nope!

You can feed coturnix 30% GBS from hatch until the ripe old age of 5 years+ of age. I have done it!

You can feed your buttons, BOBS, ZAMBIAN GUTTERSNIPES, what ever you like!

You can feed COTURNIX quail 30% GBS for ever! Well...at least for about 5 years. After that, then you should ask folks that have 5+ year old coturnix.

Pull a mod on me here, and I will ask....What's your oldest coturnix? My oldest is 5 years old and she gets 30% gbs. THE SAME AS SHE GOT 5 YEARS AGO

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2011
  8. CarriageStone

Jun 10, 2010

You can feed coturnix 30% GBS from hatch until the ripe old age of 5 years+ of age. I have done it!

You can feed COTURNIX quail 30% GBS for ever! Well...at least for about 5 years. After that, then you should ask folks that have 5+ year old coturnix.

Pull a mod on me here, and I will ask....What's your oldest coturnix? My oldest is 5 years old and she gets 30% gbs. THE SAME AS SHE GOT 5 YEARS AGO

I hope you're trying to be facetious here. [​IMG]

9. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg

Uh oh! I have yet to see anyone talk to Quail Lady like that! I vote for Quail Lady's answer!

10. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Oh wow, didn't mean to cause ruckus [​IMG] my oldest coturnix is 5 going on 6 years, I started with Stella and he is alive and kicking [​IMG] I have some birds older from other quailies.

But I have gone on by books and then reality, and then followed people. I then talk to universities in praque and the UK and compare. And seeing how I only loose birds to predators, I must be doing something right. Now if I start losing birds due elsewise I will let you know. I hold no secrets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by