1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Nooo! I killed it!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by silky_3699, Sep 15, 2011.

1. silky_3699

silky_3699 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    My Own Realm!!!
    great! so after reading two books and finding a website that said if your chook poops on her eggs while sitting on them wash them with a warm cloth and put it back under her. so thats what i did with mine. this is how i feel [​IMG]. it is sooo not fair! the egg was stained. if you leave it on it will contaminate the embryo. and die. so i threw it beggeing for forgiveness. stupid torch![​IMG] i hate it, i hate it, hate it, i hate it! i went to mum and told her the ordeal. (just so you know i saw a wittle chick with big eyes and tiny wings.[​IMG]
    mum got right up me. no idea why, she has nothing to do with my chooks.[​IMG]
    she told me that happened to grandma all the time (getting poop on the eggs) and if they were fertile they would still hatch! OMG. i feel angry!!! and stupid. i am such an idiot![​IMG]

tell me i'm an idiot![​IMG]

2. FrenchToast

FrenchToast "Draft Apple Ridge" a Bit from Heaven

Jan 10, 2010
    UP North WI
    Quote:Don't beat yourself up over it. Now you know not to do it again !! [​IMG] We've all made mistakes. Good Luck with the rest of the hatch !!

3. silky_3699

Aug 15, 2011
    My Own Realm!!!
    thanks. and i think the rest will hatch. so far that i have candled four are fertile out of 13. wait 12 now! i haven't done the rest.

4. rebel-rousing-at-night

rebel-rousing-at-night Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Don't beat yourself up over it. Now you know not to do it again !! [​IMG] We've all made mistakes. Good Luck with the rest of the hatch !!

x's 2 [​IMG]

5. jenlynn4

jenlynn4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    I agree...we've all done things like that. Just learn from your mistake and take it as a learning experience. even if it was a sad one.

6. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    How do you know that your washing it was what killed it? I did the same thing just a couple of months ago. The egg was really stinky so I rinsed it off under hot tap water then patted it dry and popped it back under mum, and the chick went on to hatch just fine. I bet you didn't kill your chick. And I bet the poop didn't kill it either. Some embryos just die, no reason, no blame. That's a big part of incubating and you'll see what I mean after a few hatches...

Edit: Or do you mean you tossed it cause you thought it was dead and then found out it probably wasn't?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  7. silky_3699

Aug 15, 2011
    My Own Realm!!!
    Quote:this is what i mean't. after washing the egg with warm water and a cloth it was still stained. the books and the website both said that if there is like a stain or whatever the embryo will be contaminated, blah, blah, blah. it won't hatch. so i threw it. i am angry because mum told me that when the hens pooped on the eggs when grandma bred them, sometimes she wouldn't even wipe it off, and if the egg was fertile it would still hatch. that is why i am so angry and upset.

8. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Yeah, when I edited my post I thought maybe that was what you meant. That really is a pity. But at least you've learned something new and you won't be making the same mistake twice, right? Next time you're not sure about something just make sure you come on here and ask for advice first! And I hope the rest of your eggs get on okay. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by