Noooo.... not another what are my bantams thread... Oh yeah!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by fanov8, Apr 15, 2011.

1. fanov8

fanov8 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    East TN
    My first mistake today was going into TSC. My 2nd mistake was taking my 4yr old daughter in with me [​IMG] Anyhow, these guys were too cute and teeny tiny to pass up. I think I could have a D'Uccle, or a Cochin, or maybe a Seabright.... As you can see, I really don't know what I'm looking at. I figured you guys could make quick work of something that could take me hours (atleast). If you need better pics, let me know and I'll go get more. Thanks for your help!

Chick #1 - heavy feathered legs and toes
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chick 2 - clean legs
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chick 3 - clean legs
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chick 4 - lightly feathered legs
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chick 5 - clean legs
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chick 6 - Heavy Feathered legs and toes
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. mandapanda3186

mandapanda3186 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    southwest Michigan
    I'm very new to this...I can only guess on a few.

1 looks like a cochin, although I don't know which color
    4 looks sort of like a porcelain d'uccle, but I don't think so...too dark?
    And 6 looks just like my chicks I have(2 of them) and I thought they were mille fleur d'uccle but I read somewhere they have grey/slate feet/legs. Which ours clearly do not(at least yet)

Good luck! They're all adorable!

We have made that similar mistake(me plus 2 kids under 5) of going to tsc with my two kids under 5. Started with 16 layers(planned) now we have added 5 more layers, 6 bantams and 3 ducks:he:lol:

3. JustClucky

JustClucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2011
    TX
    This will be a worthless post but they are so cute! They're like beaks and faces on legs! Awwwwww...

4. fanov8

May 17, 2010
    East TN
    Ok, let me take some guesses then and see what everyone else thinks

#1 - Mottled Cochin Bantam
    #2 - gotta keep looking
    #3 - gotta keep looking
    #4 - gotta keep looking
    #5 - gotta keep looking
    #6 - Mille Fleur D'Uccle

5. fanov8

May 17, 2010
    East TN
    Quote:Thanks for your help! After looking at other pics I'm pretty sure that 1 is a mottled cochin. I don't think 4 is feathered enough for a D'uccle, but I could be wrong. And now I'm stumped on 6 because of the leg coloring, LOL Oh, and we currently have 10 - 3 week old EE/Araucana cross, 2 - 2 week old SLW's - A broody mutt on 15 mutt eggs, a broody silkie on 5 silkie eggs, and 4 mutt laying hens and their mutt roo [​IMG] Like we really needed more. But alas we do not have any Bantams!

This will be a worthless post but they are so cute! They're like beaks and faces on legs! Awwwwww...

Thanks! [​IMG]

6. fanov8

May 17, 2010
    East TN
    Anyone else? [​IMG]

7. bantamsrmyfav

bantamsrmyfav Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    US & Canada
    1 is a Mottled Cochin, 6 is a Mille Fleur d'Uccle, 2-5 all look like EEs, if there is an exception it would be the dark one, which could be a Gold Laced Wyandotte.

8. I-Have-Happy-Hens

I-Have-Happy-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    #1 cochin

#2 EE

#3 EE

#4[​IMG]

#5 [​IMG]

#6 [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. SunnyDayz

SunnyDayz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Sunny FL
    I'm sorry, not much help... but the last one looks exactly like my mille fleur d'uccle looked a few weeks ago (I probably butchered that spelling, lol).
    Enjoy your babies, they are adorable!

10. sweeterdeeter42

sweeterdeeter42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northern Illinois
    At least you didnt end up buying the whole bin! Not that I know anyone who did that......[​IMG] LOL. But #5 looks like my sebrights that I got from TSC. Funny thing is, now that they are mostly feathered out the are almost all black with the wings and a few other feathers the proper gold laced. Except one, who has the correct patterning. I was told it is because they are hatchery quality.

ETA: I had one that I was convinced wasnt a sebright because she looked nothing like they are supposed to, and guess what, sebright!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by