NOOOO...... one died!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by indianrunner, Oct 23, 2010.

1. indianrunner

indianrunner Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2010
    Tasmania
    one of my ducklings died... blood blisters on the beck!

2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

What happened? Was the heat in the brooder to high?

3. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Oh noooo! [​IMG]

I wonder what happened? Were the other ones picking on it or something? I hope it wasn't one of your weaker cuties.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  4. indianrunner

Oct 17, 2010
    Tasmania
    Quote:no as as far as i could tell it was perfect! i was waiting one particular duckling to die as it didnt have a very good hatching and once it was still out of the shell it had membrane stuck to its wing and head which has effected it eye and wing but its still alive! the one that died had an odd looking beck it but was still active and eating and drinking but the blood things got bigger i reckon it might not been able to breath properly!!!

i am pretty sure it was on of the weaker ones even though it was really good this morning!!

5. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I am so sorry to hear that. Its so sad when they make it all the way through incubation...manage to hatch...and then something else goes wrong. A friend of mine last week had one hatch with what she described as a blister on its beak. She didnt say it looked like a blood blister - but in her case the blister flattened out and the duckling is now OK. I had never heard of blistering on the beak of a newly hatched duckling until then. I wonder if the two cases had something in common in some way.

6. indianrunner

Oct 17, 2010
    Tasmania
    had another duckling die but this is the one i was expecting not to make it!!! balls is what i called him. he died in my hands about a minute ago!! so totally not made out to see a poor little life taken away after it had such a hard time getting out and finally made it out of the egg to then die!!

7. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Oh Lia, Thats just so sad. I know myself how heartbreaking it can be and have often stayed up all night- or had a little one snuggled up under my pajamas throughout the night in the hope that they may pull through. As a teenager I spent a below freezing night outside on a hesian bag snuggle up with a sick goose that my mother would not let me bring into the house. A few days later when he was up and around again I was bed ridden with the flu. Sometimes we can pull them through and sometimes there is nothing we can do for them but just be there holding them in those last few moments. Its never easy, and it doesnt get easier after the 1st...2nd...10th....

[​IMG] Hoping all the other little ones survive for you.

Edited to add... The blister you spoke of.. was it definitely a blister or could the baby have scraped the flesh on the sharp edge of the shell while trying to hatch? I have just seen my second to last hatch with a scape on its beak and just thought to ask about it.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  8. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Awww, sorry to hear about the other one. I hope the rest and robust and healthy so far.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by