Noooo! What's wrong with my baby boy?!

GanjaXD

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 25, 2008
Orlando, Florida
My silkie cockerel is a sweet faced lover boy, as you might already know. He recently started avoiding me! I try to hold him, and he struggles, when I let him free range he won't let me pick him up anymore! He just runs away...! What is happening to my baby boy?

(I don't know if it has anything to do with his behavior, but, he was born on September 17, 2008).

Sounds like a teenager to me....
wink.png

I would bet that he's "growing" up and wants to be a man now so he's telling you "mom, dont touch me I will look like a wimp to the ladies"

No really, he's growing up and should be becoming a big rooster soon. I'm sure thats why !!

I hate to say it, but I think it might just be his age. I have a Black Australorp rooster that I got about the same time as a day old chick (September 14). He was very friendly and would let me hold him, he'd eat out of my hand, etc. In the last three weeks he has simulataneuosly gotten less friendly with me, and much friendlier to his hens. I think once he realized he was "the man" in the hen pen, he wasn't as interested in his person mom. Good luck to you- it's sad to see them grow up.

Pretty soon he will be wearing a comb ring and maybe even a beak ring. You will hear music in your coop that you cant identify with. He will probably start spending more time in the dust bath doing who knows what. Probably should hide your car keys as well. He may even start experimenting with different kinds of grass.

Mike D

Back
Top Bottom