Noooo! You're not really broody!

Louieandthecrew

I am actually a female!
9 Years
Jun 21, 2010
God placed me in this world
My hen Tiny thinks that she is broody. She is one yar and three months old and she has NEVER been broody before. What I think is odd is that she is a Red Sex Link which don't get broody often at all! The problem is : She is laying on golfballs. Not eggs. I took the golfballs out from under her but she still lays there! Since she thinks she's broody she doesn't lay any fresh eggs and, also, because she is always HOGGING the nest boxes my only other LAYING hen won't get in there and lay! If she goes in the coop Tiny starts growling at her!!! What should I doooo? I need more fresh eggs!!!
tongue.png

Thanks!

I have one RIR who is hogging my nest boxes, too. She growls at the other girls (I only have three total). They are young chickens. I go in there and pull her egg out from under her and get her out of the coop so my other girls can lay. I don't know if this is recommended or not, but it is working for us. She seems to get over herself eventually. Thank GOD I don't have a rooster, or I'd definitely have trouble.

I have tried to get her out but instead of pecking me she goes right out and BITES me! She thinks I'll take her eggs/chicks even though she doesn't have any!!! And I bought Louie, my top roo, in the first batch I EVER got of chicks. Kept him since then. I have sold some other roos since then. Then later later on I got a clutch of six chicks. Three died and I was left with two roos adn a hen. Kept all three. The nme hen hatched chicks (only two... a snake got in and killed her along with the rest
sad.png
) and one was a roo (I think... not sure) and the other is a hen. Whew! And that's how I got so many roos!

You could always "hatch" the golf balls
smile.png

Get some day old chicks, swap them out for the golf balls in the middle of the night. Maybe you'll get hens this time, not more roos!

haha! Well... I just don't know if it is a good idea to be raising chicks in the fall/winter. We are planning on buying 10 BO hens (chicks) in teh Spring though so we really don't need any more!
tongue.png
But I think I'll try the gloves idea... how many times do I need to do that to get her OFF the nest?

ive got a broody and she just started pecking i cant get her to stop to save my life. she is almost a year old and this is her second time her first time it was like the spawn lol this time shes getting some quail to hatch and i think shes gonna be really happy i had one chick hatch out when she was a broody the first time but she wasnt the mother she would try and steel that baby
lol.png
i hope you get your broody situated, i think fall is a good time for chicks depending on where you live.

Back
Top Bottom