Noooo!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by NamahKatana, Oct 5, 2011.

1. NamahKatana

NamahKatana Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Oregon
    My Muscovy drakes are being aggressive! Not just towards each other but my hens too! I was watching them is i cleaned out their pool and Donald went after my little brown hen and had her by the wing and wouldn't let go! Mom says get rid of them but I love my Muscovies and am already getting rid of one. Help! Should i get rid of him or could it just be a one time thing????? What should i do?

2. NamahKatana

Apr 23, 2011
    Oregon
    Another question. Would/Could the drakes get along if there were no females?

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Drakes grab girls and hold on to them, it is just part of their dominance behavour. I doubt he hurt her, I have had Muscovies for 8 years and have watched this behaviour alot. It's just part of the mating game. males can get along without females and viseversa, but you will still see mating behaviour even between same sexes. It's just the way it is. when they start to mate you will think the drake is trying to drown the female in the pool but he isn't it's just the way they mate.

4. NamahKatana

Apr 23, 2011
    Oregon
    Quote:Drakes grab girls and hold on to them, it is just part of their dominance behavour. I doubt he hurt her, I have had Muscovies for 8 years and have watched this behaviour alot. It's just part of the mating game. males can get along without females and viseversa, but you will still see mating behaviour even between same sexes. It's just the way it is. when they start to mate you will think the drake is trying to drown the female in the pool but he isn't it's just the way they mate.

oops meant my hen CHICKEN not my hen duck sorry for the confusion. they actualy prefur to go after my chickens than ducks. and he was pretty aggressive about pulling her wing. she is less than half his size.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  5. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN

oops meant my hen CHICKEN not my hen duck sorry for the confusion. they actualy prefur to go after my chickens than ducks. and he was pretty aggressive about pulling her wing. she is less than half his size.

Seperate thqt drake now! He will kill the chicken! Hes to big! Either seperate the chicken, or the drake. And hurry! (not tonight, but in the morning)

6. NamahKatana

Apr 23, 2011
    Oregon
    Quote:oops meant my hen CHICKEN not my hen duck sorry for the confusion. they actualy prefur to go after my chickens than ducks. and he was pretty aggressive about pulling her wing. she is less than half his size.

Seperate thqt drake now! He will kill the chicken! Hes to big! Either seperate the chicken, or the drake. And hurry! (not tonight, but in the morning)

Both of the drakes have been separate from my flock and are in a pen together. I'm trying to find them both new homes. they do fine together when its just them, they aren't trying to hurt eat other since they've been together by them selves.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Seperate thqt drake now! He will kill the chicken! Hes to big! Either seperate the chicken, or the drake. And hurry! (not tonight, but in the morning)

Both of the drakes have been separate from my flock and are in a pen together. I'm trying to find them both new homes. they do fine together when its just them, they aren't trying to hurt eat other since they've been together by them selves.

Okay now I get it, my ducks will grab a chicken if they get the chance, but never to the point of injury, I think they just want them to know they are the bosses of the barn yard. well they won't grab my one rooster. He is actually in charge of the barn yard lol. all my other roos have to bow down to the ducks too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by