NOOOOO I can't believe it.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SassyT, May 31, 2010.

1. SassyT

SassyT Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2009
    Marana, AZ
    I spent almost a month coming up with my perfect flock. 2 silverlaced wyndottes, 1 light brahma, 1 partridge brahma, 2 RIR, 2 Buff wyndottes and 2 Cuckoo Marans. We just moved them out to the big coup last week as they are about 8 weeks. We seperated them from the bigger girls and let them integrate during the day when we were around. Today my husband open the coup and decided all the girls could wander around the yard and he checked on them on and off. Then he went to the store and came back to find that our new puppy had gotten into the coup and killed my new flock. I am so sick. Most of our feed stores don't have chicks now because the weather in Marana has spiked to over a 100. I am on the verge of tears and needed to vent. [​IMG]

2. wordgirl

wordgirl One of the Shire-folk

Apr 14, 2009
    Quote:Oh, SassyT, I'm so sorry! [​IMG]

3. abanjaf

abanjaf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    Cocoa, Florida
    I'm so sorry!!! Hugs to you!!!

4. Lolita

Lolita Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    FL
    [​IMG]

5. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    [​IMG] I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your new flock.

6. fastpat

fastpat Chillin' With My Peeps

Unfortunately, if it weren't your dog, coyotes would have gotten in the run or coop. A coop or chicken run has to have buried fencing around it and at least one foot of hardware cloth over that at the bottom to prevent bite throughs.

In the last three months I've had friends lose entire flocks and one lost over two dozen goats to feral dog packs, if it weren't for them, the local coyote pack would have done both. My neighbor across the road just bought a donkey to keep in with his beef cattle, he lost a couple of calves to coyotes.

I own four dogs, the smallest is 65 pounds. All but one are hunting dogs and the three hunters would like to kill my chicks, as a favor to me I'm sure. It's what they do.

7. bakohens

bakohens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2010
    Bakersfield
    I am so sorry! That is terrible!

8. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    Loose, stray or feral dogs are more likly to get the chicks if coop is it right. I live across the river from a pack of about 25 coyotes, I have had my flock all about two years, and have not lost one to coyotes. My coop is built on the ground with no fenceing in the ground to prevent dig under. Neighbor has lost serveral to feral dogs. I'm very sorry about your lose. Check with some of the on line hatcheries. You can proably get some more.

9. SassyT

SassyT Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2009
    Marana, AZ
    Thanks so much for the supportive words. I just got back from getting 10 new girls from a breeder, unfortunately I don't have the mix I had before and I have to start completely over.

Hopefully this time my husband will keep them in the coup or watch them more closely... I think this might help to convince him to have a second temp coup.

So now I have 4 EE, 2BO, 1 Cukoo Maran, 1 White PR, 2 Cochin. Starting Fresh....

Thanks again for the kind words.

10. Delphinium

Delphinium Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2010
    Northern AZ
    I'm so sorry! Glad you were able to get some new chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by