Nooooo.... Not the trilling....Help me with 'sexed' EE.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chics in the sun, Aug 4, 2010.

1. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    I had two EE roo's a few months ago, and after hearing a funny trilling noise from them I looked it up on here. It said it was usually done by young roosters, but is it ONLY roosters that do it? After re-homing the first two, I now have an EE that was supposed to be sexed, and an Olive Egger that was just a shot in the dark from a chicken swap. The regular EE is I think about 9 weeks old, and the OE is 7 weeks. Last night a thunderstorm started, and I heard it again - that trilling noise!! NOoooooo!!!! I'm not sure which one was making it, but I'm getting pretty concerned about the EE and it's back feathers and pink comb. Take a look, and help me solve this little who-done-it mystery:

This is Jade, the 9 week old hatchery "sexed" EE:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is Sam, as in Sam I am, Do you like green eggs and ham? 7 week old Olive Egger, Marans and Ameraucana cross:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. newlyweds

newlyweds Pearl of the Prairie

Mar 12, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    Not sure that trilling is just done by Roosters, I know my hens do it also, especially my EE's. Actually they both look like pullets to me.

3. chics in the sun

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    I'm so happy to hear you say that. It's not the little chirping/ singing noise (which I'm really going to miss when the babies are out in the coop), but a very distinct trill they only do when they percieve danger. The other EE's did it in the car ride, and one of these did it when the storm started. My son actually made a very similar noise and all the chickens froze!

4. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    First one defiantly looks like a pullet. The second one looks like a roo.

5. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Both are pullets.

6. chics in the sun

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    Thanks for the replies. I'm feeling better now. I'll just finish up the coop addition for them (blocked off from the big girls) so I can get them out of the house and wait to see what happens. For some reason I have grown especially attached to these two. I would hate to have to re-home one of them and split them up, too.

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Both are girls. Trilling is their happy sound. I have several girls that do it, and not one of my roosters trill.

8. okiehen

okiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    pullets

9. HarryBun12

HarryBun12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    Yes, my hens do the trilling, too. Especially when they are content and settled in for the night. Your EEs look to be pullets.

10. Karrie13

Karrie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    I think they both look like pullets to me... my hens are also known for their trilling.

Don't worry, both are girls!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by