NOOOoo * YESSSss ~ Horse that wasn't bred foaled!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Chicks_N_Horses, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    I am so confused and having mixed emotions on this. My husband comes in this morning as he was leaving and says "Do you know your mare had a colt??" I was like [​IMG] "WHAT??? She hasn't been bred in over 2 years!!!"

Sure enough, there is her filly out there walking beside her!

I had NO idea! I do remember once she got out last year and went a couple miles down the road to a neighbors house that has the most beautiful stud I have ever seen. I am assuming it is his because there has been no other stud around her since I can't even remember when.

There goes our reining this year! I am so upset about this!! I have put alot of time into this mare to prepare for competition this year and here she drops a baby on me!

I am also happy too because I tried to get this mare to foal twice and then I gave up on her breeding program and put her into reining training. The filly looks just like her! So, mixed emotions on this baby.

Will update with pics a little later....WOAH NELLY! [​IMG]

2. ShadyGlade

ShadyGlade Chillin' With My Peeps

Once you get over the shock I think you'll fall in love with your new girl. Congratulations.

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Don't look a gift horse in the mouth ... LOL I think it is great news. The circle of life leaves me feeling hope and rejoicing in miracles.

4. Chicks_N_Horses

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    Yes, I am sure when the shock is gone I will be overjoyed! I am really in shock though, I can't beleive I didn't know she was pregnant. She didn't look it but she did get a big bag this past couple weeks but she has had a bag do that before and was not pregnant so I just thought it was her heat cycle doing it.

I am noticing she won't let the filly nurse...I am calling the vet now to see if I can get some milk just in case.....Anyone have any ideas on what to do to get her to nurse??? This is the first time I have had a mare not nurse her baby. She is licking it but won't let it touch her udders. This is her first baby.

5. Chicks_N_Horses

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    Ok, she is nursing the filly now! BIG RELIEF!

I will be getting pics in just a bit now that that worry is gone [​IMG]

6. farrier!

farrier! Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Quote:Good!
    Sometimes on new mom's it really hurts and milking them helps.
    So glad things are going better.

7. calgal98

calgal98 Chillin' With My Peeps

My first time momma needed to be twitched the first couple of times to allow the filly to nurse. Vet recommended it. Then she became an old hat at it. Glad momma is allowing baby to nurse!

8. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I am a firm believer that things happen for a reason. Just enjoy your little bundle of joy and feel blessed [​IMG]

9. Appytaz

Appytaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Central Florida
    Congrads on your new filly! Now, I have a question - Why would this new filly blow your entire year of reining? I have always had gelding, but I thought you could continue to ride, ect even with a baby. She hasn't been turned out to pasture to have a foal so she should still be in shape. I am really curious about this now :)

Waiting on Pics!! [​IMG]

10. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    On the bright side, at least it was to a good stallion rather than some ugly-made thing [​IMG]

Congratulations,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by