NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! I think I just broke her legs!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by dulcimer lady, Nov 9, 2010.

1. dulcimer lady

dulcimer lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    I feel like the biggest heel in the WORLD! The little chicken that I've had less than 48 hours, the one in my avatar, I think I just broke her legs! I was holding her and went to sit her down in her little pen which was on the ground. When she was about 4 or 5 inches from the ground, I lost my footing and my hands separated and she plopped on her butt. She gave a tiny squawk and then.....she couldn't get up. She's sitting flat on her butt and she can't get up at all.

You have no idea how bad I feel.

She's in her cage in the run with the other big chickens in the run too but they can't get to her. Should I move her to a more private cage? Has anyone EVER seen a chicken unable to stand that got over it after a while?

This is such a bad day.

2. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    if she fell when she was 4-5 inches from the ground I doubt her legs are broken

3. dulcimer lady

Apr 22, 2010
    Yes, she was very close to the ground when she fell.

4. herefordlovinglady

herefordlovinglady It Is What It Is

Jun 23, 2009
    Georgia
    maybe she is just shaken up a bit. have you picked her back up to check her out?

5. dulcimer lady

Apr 22, 2010
    I picked her back up immediately after it happened. I even gently moved her legs a bit and they seemed to move normally and she didn't act like it hurt her.

6. BirdNut

BirdNut Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2010
    Suprise, Arizona
    This could be hard to believe, but I've had MUCH worse happen and it turned out just fine. I dropped my week-old tiny quail baby, and it was more than just a few inches. He favored his leg for a couple of days, I thought I fractured it, but he recovered perfectly. I still have not forgiven myself. In other words, don't feel so bad. [​IMG]

She looks to be a teenager, so falling a few inches to the ground shouldn't harm her. She'll be fine, I'm pretty sure the reaction you're seeing is just being a little shaken up. She should start getting up and walking around on her own soon. Don't panic!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  7. dulcimer lady

Apr 22, 2010
    Ok, you guys are making me feel a bit better. She's still just sitting there. My day will be soooo much better if she gets up! I called a friend and she said she dropped a 4 day old chick from about 4 ft and was convinced she had broken every bone in it's body but after 3 or 4 hours it got up and was fine. I'll be going out and checking on her all day...[​IMG]

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Have you tried pushing her to move? I'd nudge her to step foreward. Maybe she thinks she can't [​IMG] I highly doubt you broke anything, I mean, they jump down from roosts/fences/trees all the time. Chicken bones are lightweight and very strong. I'm thinking she just needs some encouragement [​IMG]

9. dulcimer lady

Apr 22, 2010
    Ok, but how can I nudge her to move when she's down on her butt? Should I try to stand her up?

10. GoneHomeGrown2

GoneHomeGrown2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Does she have a favorite treat, you might be able to coax her to move for?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by