NOOOOOoooooooooooo!!!!!!!

James the Bald

Songster
7 Years
Jan 6, 2013
So, This morning was lockdown; I candled all of the eggs, I double checked the humidity, and off to work I go.
I get home from work and everything looks good. Temperature: Check. Humidity: Check. Cold adult beverage and the TV remote: Check. Then, my 16yo daughter tells me that the power went out sometime during the day, because her clock radio is flashing. I look at the 1970's era clock on the oven, and it is 40 minutes slow. Really????? Last hatch, it was the dang mailman, now it's the power company. Why can't I catch a break? Now, I'm holding my breath.
So, anyone out there every had this happen? If so, and it's bad news, just smack me hard with the bad news.

Yes they should be fine. may just hatch a little later. Had it happen all the time and they usually always still hatch. Yesterday we had a power outage for 3 hours and I go into to lockdown tomorrow.

I wouldnt worry too much, depends on how long the power was out, plus how well your incubator holds temp and humidity

OK, so it can be done.
Yes they should be fine. may just hatch a little later. Had it happen all the time and they usually always still hatch. Yesterday we had a power outage for 3 hours and I go into to lockdown tomorrow.
So, I'll push my calendar back one day for Hatch Day. Eighteen hours past that day, I'll get ready to float test. I hope your hatch goes well.
I wouldnt worry too much, depends on how long the power was out, plus how well your incubator holds temp and humidity
The power seems to have been out for 40 minutes. After this hatch, I'm going to run some "tests" to see how long my Incubator will hold temperature as well as humidity (another thing for my "Pre-Hatch Checklist").
Fingers crossed for you!
Thank you very much. I'm thinking about increasing my blood pressure medicine until after the weekend
barnie.gif

James, 40 mins is nothing. Will only delay your hatch by 40 mins. Things should go as planned. I guess part of your "pre hatch check list" should be the count of your blood pressure pills! LOL

Good luck James. :)

Last edited:
Oh and James...you have to remember that just because the power goes out and heat is no longer being supplied to the eggs, does not mean that instantly the eggs become the same temp as the outside air, even if the incubator is. The eggs are going to retain their heat. Just like cooking a roast in the oven. If you turn off the oven and leave the roast in there, it will still be pipping hot for quite some time. Or loosing power to your frig for hours. Your food still stays cold. So after 40 mins, your eggs lost little heat. Humidity as well probably stayed stable if no one opened the incubator.

This must be a typical reaction for inexperienced owners... Ok, 125 over 70.... feeling better... OH, and on another note, from my first successful hatch, I have one male, and one female, or one dominant male and another male trying to keep his dignity
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom