nope.

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by chickenfeverforever, Jun 7, 2011.

1. chickenfeverforever

chickenfeverforever Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    NOpe.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  2. jdopler

jdopler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2010
    Roggen, Colorado
    great question! I have a large mixed flock that I plan on downsizing before winter and had been wondering the same thing.
    Hopefully someone will have a suggestion.

3. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    You could process and eat a sparrow if you wanted to [​IMG]

Are they bantam in size? I Googled the size of a cochin and Wikipedia said "Standard weight is 11 pounds (5 kg) for a cock, 9 pounds (4 kg) for a cockerel, 8.5 pounds (3.9 kg) for a hen, and 7 pounds (3.2 kg) for a pullet." That doesn't seem bad.

I'm very new to meaties - but I'd probably try to process them if it were me. I'm curious to see what others say!!

4. Sierra pachie bars

Sierra pachie bars Queen of the Lost

Nov 8, 2008
    You could always process and boil done into broth as well. I have done that with my smaller birds. I boil the bones and everything. Makes a nice broth.

5. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

We process all our extra roos regardless of breed. If they are bantams or just very young, the wife cooks two or three instead of one. They all taste like chicken. [​IMG]

6. jdopler

jdopler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2010
    Roggen, Colorado
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Ok, I'm sold. [​IMG] "taste like chicken"... [​IMG]

7. chickenfeverforever

Apr 18, 2011
    Guess we will be eating some Cochin roos then! Shame I couldnt find them a home but I am more then happ to eat them.

8. orientphoenix

orientphoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    cochins r to skinny but hey it's ur choice

9. Country Heart

Country Heart City Girl With A

I think they are technically classified as "ornamental" and they look like a walking pile of feathers. It would be interesting to know just how much meat you find under all that fluff. [​IMG]

10. chickenfeverforever

Apr 18, 2011
    Quote:I know. And I am not expecting much. But it either eat them or give them away and I cant seem to do that either. No one wants them. I see no need in continuing to feed them when I dont need a bunch of Cochin roos. I will toss them in with the rest to be processed and I will take pics and provide dressed weight and everything.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by