"Nor eastern"/"Midwest blizzard"

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by raisinemright, Jan 4, 2014.

1. raisinemright

raisinemright Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2013
    Hopefully everyone that is dealing with this storm over the next few days will come out ok! Here in NE Indiana is expecting up to -45 windchill!!! All our animals are as prepared as we can make them and the hens are still laying great. Our new horse has not been able to get outside yet because of the temps:( hopefully she can for a little bit this afternoon. Everyone be safe over the next few days!!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Lots of preparation today. Bracing for the coldest temps in 20 years and possibly 12 inches on top of the 2 that are still on the ground.
    I'm bringing the generator up close to the house in case we have an outage.
    Move all the birds around and consolidate flocks. All adolescents into one building, All the hens into 2 buildings. Those moves will up the stocking density which should help them stay warm.
    All the roosters are going to be moved into a bachelor pad with a concrete floor and I'll run a propane heater in there for the 48 hours it is below zero F.

3. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    Same here in Memphis. It's not bad here now but tomorrow the cold front & snow arrives. Weather guys are talking about it setting record lows.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by