Nora is Broody-First Time-over 2 yrs old

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
I ran an auction (free to good home) to rehome Nora, my younger blue Ameraucana, and had just arranged for Nora to go to a new home. She was going to be picked up at the end of the month by one of our newer BYC members. Well, yesterday, out of the blue, Nora is broody.
hmm.png
She stayed on the nest all night, clucking under her breath, guarding her nest.
Today, we decide she can't stay in the #1 favorite nest in the coop, which of course, she chose, so we fix up the broody pen, add five eggs, and put her in it. She is NOT having that! No way. Found her on top of the brooder lamp instead of on the nest. She was raising cain for an hour or more. We give up. We move her and her eggs back to the nest she wanted. She settled down, just singing to herself. So, we will remove any eggs laid in that nest and let her stay till her babies hatch, then she goes into the broody pen. Silly hen is over two years old, never a sign of going broody until I decide to rehome her.
I had just said to Cetawin that I dread the day Nora goes broody because she is a mean woman on the nest anyway. I requested to her new owner that she stay here to brood for several reasons. He is a new chicken owner and probably not ready for a broody wench, plus this heat makes it dangerous for Nora and we have lots of time to keep an eye on her and make sure she gets off the nest to eat and drink. He graciously agreed it was probably best for her to stay here till she raised her chicks. So, she is exactly where she wants to be with a fan blowing at the nest. I just hope none of the others give her too much trouble. At least she is in a nice, large, open nest that should stay as cool as any of them in there.

Thank you, Mark, for being so understanding about Nora.
smile.png

Here is Nora.

361972.jpg

I understand, had no broody hen's until I find out I need to de-worm them then 2 in one week. An EE bantam hen and my 1 Americauna decided to try to go broody luckly I was able to break both. Good luck with Nora.

Oh, yeah, she had a huge tantrum. Usually, they fuss for a half hour then settle down on the eggs, but not Nora. I've never heard the sounds from her that I heard today and can't even describe them! I think she was upsetting Zane, whose cage is on top of the broody pen.

It's so hot, I have another hen under severe stress. My huge BR hen, Amanda, was on a nest all day and even tonight, highly unusual for her. She did lay an egg, but never got off and seemed way off. DH brought her in the house and she and Ivy are in the playpen cooling off.

Well, she's doing really well, sticking to the nest. We're on Day Six tomorrow with her five eggs. Funny thing is that Nora, normally a cobra on the nest when not broody, is quite sweet and lets me pet her now. She flares a bit, but doesn't bite. I've come close to losing a hand on her normal days.

Took my little LED flashlight out last night to see if I could candle the eggs. My little sight-impaired black Ameraucana, Tiny, was on the roost bar in front of Nora's nest. I was busy trying to see into the eggs when Tiny grabbed my nose! That little minx was not happy that I had not noticed her there. I sort of batted my hand at her and she began grabbing my shirt, with me shoving her away so I could finish my task. She became crazed pecking at me and coming back at me and I gave up, yelled for DH to control his little spoiled princess so I could candle. She was telling me to pay attention to her and pick her up, dang it! Nora didn't even peck at me when I removed eggs from underneath her, but Tiny was a ferocious little spoiled brat! This is all DH's fault, I tell you.
rant.gif

BTW, they all seem to be developing just fine, far as I can tell. It's only Day 7, though. Usually, I wait till Day 10, but since Nora is in the main coop, up at my waist level and has only five eggs, it's easier to get to them if I think I should re-candle later.

Back
Top Bottom