Nor'easter season

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Eroicayori, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Eroicayori

Eroicayori Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2011
    I live in the peninsula of NJ (southern Jersey). It Nor'easters here for 6 months, snows for 3 and then 3 months of 90% humidity 100 degree days. In the last 2 weeks we have gone from 90 degree sunny days to 60 degrees and raining. The temp will drop dramatically like that for the next month till the start of noreaster season in October. It can rain here for two weeks straight with very strong winds and our night and day temps can be as far apart as 35 degrees. What can I do to make this easier on my chickens ( and goats)?

This will be my first winter with them.

Thank you

2. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    do not heat the chickens' space! by heating their space you could stress them when a power outage happens and they had been used to the warmth instead of gradually getting used to the cooler/colder temps on their own. as long as the coop/space has good ventilation without having drafty areas they should be fine.

as for the goats, i am not sure if you need them to have a heated space, but most areas are now requiring a shelter that is insulated from the cold/elements. it used to be that a 3 sided shelter was enough but many laws have since changed. please look at your states agricultural laws to be sure on that one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by