1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Norfolk Grey

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by oldchickenman, Jan 31, 2009.

1. oldchickenman

oldchickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2008
    Parsonsburg Md.
    I just finished reading an artical on the norfolk grey sounds like a nice chicken for the backyard anybody know if there are any the us if so how could i get some eegs or chicks i would like to work with these if i could find some thnaks for any help.

2. oldchickenman

Oct 2, 2008
    Parsonsburg Md.
    bump what no help ?

3. vortec

vortec Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Martin County, NC
    Quote:Let me guess, Practical Poultry magezine? I read the same article last night. I did a little searching on google trying to find a hatchery that sells these as the roos are PRETTY!!!

4. oldchickenman

Oct 2, 2008
    Parsonsburg Md.
    i know vortec and they sound like a pretty hardy chicken but i cant find breeders anywhere i wounder if you can get eggs shiped from the UK to the US anybody know.

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I think they're only in the UK. It's pretty much illegal to import eggs or birds without going through a lot of expensive red tape.

6. allaboutdemchicks

allaboutdemchicks Chapel Farms

Sep 13, 2008
    Jemison, AL
    Haha no, you won't be getting eggs from U.K. That roo on the cover of Practical Poultry is something else! I had no idea how rare they are!!

7. oldchickenman

Oct 2, 2008
    Parsonsburg Md.
    you would think somebody here in the states would be doing something with them. if they are so rare looks liek they would send some here i would like to work with these birds.

8. oldchickenman

Oct 2, 2008
    Parsonsburg Md.
    bump is there anybody in the us with these birds if not what breeds did he use to come up with this bird. any help thanks

9. blackclownfish16

blackclownfish16 Chillin' With My Peeps

First shown at the 1920 Dairy Show under the Name of Black Marias. They originated in Norwich introduced by a Mr Myhill. They are now very uncommon and are rarely seen at Poultry shows. The original birds were a result of crossing Silver Birchen Game and Duckwing Leghorns.

[​IMG]

They are a heavy breed but are not actually that large and only weigh around 6-7 lb. They were developed by crossing the Birchen English Game with Partridge Wyandottes. They have a single comb and a red face with black eyes while the legs are slate or black. Plumage is attractively marked and the male has a beautiful silver hackle striped with black as is the neck, back, saddle and wing feathers while the rest of the plumage is black. The hen's hackle is similar to the cockerels but she has an otherwise rich black feathering all over apart from the throat which is silver laced. They can produce a good-sized carcass for meat production if they are allowed to mature slowly and are regulars at shows where they win prizes.
    The Norfolk Grey is an excellent forager and does well when free ranging. Males can reach 7-8 lb while the female is 5-6lb. They breed and lay reasonably well.

Heres the results of a google search. Remember no one can help you as well as yourself [​IMG]

10. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    As I have said on other topics you could probably make one. They look like birchen but without the breast lacing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by