Norhern fowl mites or red mites?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SplashSilkie, Feb 4, 2014.

1. SplashSilkie

SplashSilkie Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2014
    I brought a hen in that was getting picked on about a month ago. I gave her a bath last week but didn't see anything on her then. She has been in the house the entire time but last night I noticed in her cage after she had been picking at her tail feathers little red bugs crawling around. Worried they could have gotten in the carpet in that room too..treated her with revolution for cats. Read on another site it works and is not as dangerous as frontline. Just not sure which mite it is..not a bad infestation hen seems healthy and laying good too..

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  3. Cooper Farms

Cooper Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2012
    new sharon ia
    where they clear with red like blood inside then or where they red on the outside

4. SplashSilkie

Jan 11, 2014
  5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sevin dust and permethrin are widely used to treat both types of mites and lice. They need to be treated, the coop and nest boxes must be thoroughly cleaned, sprayed with permethrin, and then the chickens must be dusted again in 7-10 days depending on whether you are treating lice or mite. Lice move fast, mites move slow. Lice eggs are white clumps at the base of the feathers, mite dirt is grayish.

6. SplashSilkie

Jan 11, 2014
    They were so tiny I really couldn't tell for sure..

7. SplashSilkie

Jan 11, 2014
    I keep the chicken coop cleaned every week and keep sevin dust in the bedding but I guess it wasn't enough. I will be doing a major cleaning on it this weekend for sure.

8. SplashSilkie

Jan 11, 2014
    Do you think they got in that room I had her in? How will I know if they are in there?

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It's hard to know the source of the mites. Many people who use straw for bedding will carry mites home in the middle of the straw strands. I have heard of people shaking bales over white paper to check for it, but I prefer pine shavings for bedding.

10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by