NORIE DUCK IS HOME NOW!!! Update pg 3

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by nettie, Aug 14, 2010.

1. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Our poor ducky Norie seems to have caught something, or had breathed in something that has made her not feel well. We just started using DE in their pen, so I wonder if the powder is upsetting her lungs. Her breathing sounded labored last night so we brought her in this morning. They wanted to put her in an O2 chamber to make it easier for her. She's also getting an x-ray and medicine. We had to put down a $500 deposit, but it could cost up to $1400 if she needs to stay in the chamber for more than 1 day (they said maybe up to 3). Hopefully it's not a fungal problem (we did find that some of their feed had gone moldy at the bottom on the container about two weeks ago, of course we threw it away immediately and bleached the storage container.) Ming Mei recently was at the vet because she lost her voice a bit, and we worried she might have been getting sick.... It seems whenever one duck gets sick, Norie has to go and get sicker. She's always been a bit of a runt, and she grew funny so she's kind of weird looking. She hates taking baths and will jump out of the tub every time. She hates the spray bottle/hose/kiddie pool too. Such a weird duck...

Anyways, If anyone has an ideas or input or had problems with DE, tell me about it.... I'd like to be as informed as possible. We sprinkle our DE around their pen, sometimes while they are in it, so I'm feeling like that was the cause.... This was probably our own fault. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010

2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

I've heard about DE problems from others. Mainly drying out their skin a lot and cracking their feet open. Perhaps it is doing the same in their respiratory system. I have never used it so I cannot talk out of my personal experience. Hope your duck gets well soon.

3. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    Any update on the duck, Nettie? I sent you a PM the other day...

4. nettie

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Norie is still in the O2 chamber at the vet. They said she does well in the chamber, but are going to try to wean her off of it today. If she does well, she can come home. If not, she has to stay another night in the chamber. The last I called, she was pretty much the same as she was earlier. Happy in the chamber acting fairly normal, but having a hard time outside of the chamber.

5. LizGled628

LizGled628 Chirping

Jun 13, 2010
    Rhode Island
    I'm so sorry about your baby [​IMG]

I use DE all the time, and I've never had any issues. Don't blame yourself...just put all your energy into positive thoughts for Norie!

6. nettie

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Norie is still in the O2 chamber, for another day. They tried to wean her off today, but it didn't go well and she started having issues breathing again. My poor baby!!! She had a breathing issue once when she was younger (both her and her sister duck Moxy) got the same respiratory infection and needed meds. She probably had weaker lungs to begin with, coupled with being a bit runty and a lot um, "Special". Throw in some DE floating around and you got yourself a recipe for breathing problems for her... She's always been different- really lovey dovey, likes to hide in armpits and be held, has a really long face with very few feathers around her eyes (kinda macaw looking), her face grew too long too fast so her eye lids were a little messed up for awhile.... She's the only one who HATES bathing and being in the tub and is the only one skinny enough to hop out of the tub at will.

I will keep you updated once I hear about the weaning they are trying in the morning! I think our bill is up to $800 right now, and rising.... oh goodness.... We have a rule in our house- Everyone's health come before everything else... including our pets. For each pet we take on, we do so knowing we may have go sell some stocks or go without if a health issue arises. Even though ducks are cheap to obtain, we love ours like precious family members. If we can spend the deductible and extra costs for our health, we do the same for them..... We'll have to look into pet insurance though... lol... They have that right? Pet health insurance? Perhaps my three "vet troublemakers" need some lol.

7. MysticalMom

MysticalMom Songster

Jul 1, 2009
    I sent Norie some "get better" energy on Facebook and I'm still sending sending sending. Hope she feels better soon. Poor girl. And poor you. I know you must be a wreck. I would be. You're a real good Duck Momma Nettie. *BIG HUGS*

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010

8. Happyflower

Happyflower Songster

Jun 3, 2009
    Midwest
    (((((hugs)))))) to Norie and his mommy

9. nettie

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    UPDATE-

We got a call that Norie could come home this afternoon and were all excited.... But when we arrived her collect her, she had developed a new symptom of a horribly high pitched wheezy cough whenever she got stressed out. She had been doing it upon the hour, or when she got frightened (like when a door slammed). So, she;s staying another night.... That's now Day 4.... Our bill is looking like $1600-$1800 total now.... We're still holding out that she'll be well enough to come home tomorrow!

I spent all day today getting ready a special separate pen for her in the empty bedroom (the room that was cleared out for the new duck pen to be built in). She will be living in there for about a week once she comes home to make sure she is not contagious or gets too stressed out. It's ready for her for when she comes home!!!!

10. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by