1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Normal Amount Of Eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WoofMeowCluck, Aug 30, 2010.

1. WoofMeowCluck

WoofMeowCluck Dark Speckled Egg Lover

Mar 9, 2010
    We have 1 Silkie, 2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Welsummers, 10 EE'ers.

I don't count the Silkie eggs, she only lays once or twice a week & The Welsummers aren't old enough to lay yet.

From the two Buff Orpingtons and 10 EE'ers we usually get 6 to 7 eggs a day. Is it me or doesn't this seem low to you? All are in good weight, eat Layena, have oysters shells available, have the run of a big fenced in field, fresh water twice daily, clean coop. They get BOSS and other treats in small amounts every day (greens, a little fruit if we have it). They were wormed about a month ago. They are about 5 1/2 months of age. Is this normal or do I have slackers? Any way or anything I can do to up the egg production?

Thanks! [​IMG]

2. carrlr

carrlr Songster

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    We have 12 (4 Buff Orpington, 5 Barred Rock, 3 Red Sex Linked). All are also 5 1/2 months, except one BR who is over 1 year. We only average 6 to 7 each day too. I would think by now all would be laying. I didn't expect 12 every day, but thought maybe once in a while there would be 10 or 11. I'd like to see others answers/advice.

3. Some may not have matured enough to lay yet...my pullets seem to all be on a different time schedule. All the sex links are finally laying, one EE just started and yesterday a BO laid her first egg. I have others who have the red face and some squat but no egg yet. Makes each day fun when you go out to check the nesting boxes. [​IMG]

4. WoofMeowCluck

WoofMeowCluck Dark Speckled Egg Lover

Mar 9, 2010
    Well I feel better knowing it's normal! I was just thinking there should be a few more than that. It has been hot, 90's, but cools down at night, mid 60's. Going out and checking for eggs every half an hour is just an excuse to watch the girl's and hang out with them.

Completely OT - when pumpkins are ready in a couple weeks is it ok to feed them, seeds and all, to the chickens?

Thanks! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by