Normal behavior for a chicken?

JYount

Chirping
Nov 1, 2021
Merida, my beilefelder, has been cuddling up in my coat when I sit outside with them. All of them are friendly and enjoy petting and sit on my lap, but she's the only one who pushes herself into my coat. She'll hang out for about 10 minutes in that position then jumps down and does her normal routine. I don't have any nooks and crannies for the chickens to go into. Should I add some to the run? She's definitely not bullied as she's the food thief and first to find bugs (very much like Merida from Brave personality). From the photo you can see her tail feathers sticking out. Just curious about her behavior!
PXL_20211116_202923597.jpg

I have a buff orpington that likes to be held kind of similarly to this. She crawls under my arm and shoves her head right up into my armpit if she can. Often looks like I'm just holding a chicken butt. She's nearly blind on her right side; I've often wondered if does that because it makes her feel safer because of the vision issues, but she never seeks out any other hidey holes - just armpits.

It's normal behavior for a chick that trusts their human. But it's also fairly uncommon. Not because the human did anything wrong, but simply because chickens have the fear instincts of a prey animal. Merida sees you as her protector and safe haven, same as she would if she had a real mama hen. She will likely outgrow her cuddling tendencies as she grows into adulthood, but will keep her affection and trust.

The same individuals that chose to be near me when they were wee chicks are still the hens that follow me around as i do chicken chores, & they linger under my feet when i sit in a chair. Some even fly up and perch on the chair's arm rest for a closer visit It seems like in every large chick group/clutch, i get at least one "Merida". I call those my "teachers pets." And it's impossible not to adore a chicken that chooses us first.

Congratulations on your Merida. Though it may be uncommon, chicken affection is real. 🙂

My three pullets (from June this last summer) like to gather round, so I've been bringing an extra plate of chickie snack when I go to clean the coop. I sit in the coop, those three come around to eat. The roo will come too, and the alpha hen from my first batch. I'm going to keep doing this, because I'd like some chicken love!

And to teach my roo that I bring good things. But I also carry the stick for when he forgets.

My three pullets (from June this last summer) like to gather round, so I've been bringing an extra plate of chickie snack when I go to clean the coop. I sit in the coop, those three come around to eat. The roo will come too, and the alpha hen from my first batch. I'm going to keep doing this, because I'd like some chicken love
Yes, the old adage "The way to a man's heart is through his stomach" works with chickens too! My only issue is i find that when the treats run out, most of the chickens soon drift away too. Thats how i know the ones that Really love me. Because they come running even when they see me coming empty-handed, and linger near even when there are no more treats..😊

Back
Top Bottom