normal behavior newly hatched chicks?

Akane

Crowing
11 Years
Jun 15, 2008
I have 2 chicks so far. They finished hatching 12hrs ago. I had to assist both. One it's head was all tangled up under it's wing and it's feet were twisted around to cover it's wing also so it had this tiny little beak tip sticking out from this mass of wet feathers and I have no idea how it managed to pip. It's wing and nearly it's entire left side had to of slid into the air cell before the beak. It couldn't move to make any progress on the shell. 24hrs later it had gotten nowhere. The other looked to be in much the same situation so I intervened a little after 8hrs and it was then able to pop itself out. All the chicks who have pipped since have been unable to hatch and died. They seem to be too big to move around into the right position and some of the ones that didn't make it pipped in odd places. I've got 3 eggs left I'm not sure what to do but I think I'm just gonna step back and whoever makes it makes.

Anyway I'm wondering if the chick that hatched first is doing ok. I moved them to the brooder to dry instead of the incubator to avoid opening again and since I had no idea how long I might be leaving the other eggs since they haven't pipped yet. Chick #1 is just sleeping constantly unless disturbed and then it only wobbles around for a bit before sleeping again. Chick #2 I'm sure is fine. It's eating chick starter and was chasing a bug. Every now and then it starts to get sleepy, wobbles around, and then passes out for a few minutes before getting back up again. I can't really get them interested in the waterer. Should I just leave chick #1 alone to find the water or keep trying to get it to drink? Can I leave it unwatched tonight or is it at risk?

I have a vid that I will post as soon as it's uploaded.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v244/aqh88/chickens/brooder/?action=view&current=sany0639.flv

Last edited:
The one running about looks just fine...the other one may be tired. Mine slept a long time after hatching...is that the one that was left for longer in the egg? If so it prob just worked harder then the other one. Hopefully tomorrow it will be a little better.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom