1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Normal behavior or sick chick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mcf3kids, May 11, 2011.

1. mcf3kids

mcf3kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Just picked up my box of chicks (24 of them) and one of them seems wobbly and is breathing heavy. It pulls itself away from the group and when it is breathing it lifts its wings up like an exagerated deap breath. I cannot visibly see the others breathing at all like this. I am a nurse and he looks like his "work of breathing" is work. Any suggestions or is he just stressed from his travels - can or should I do anything at this point? They are 2 days old and he is a blue polish. [​IMG]

2. Veggie4life55

Veggie4life55 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2010
    West Virginia
    I would guess that something is wrong... is he still eating and drinking good?

3. mcf3kids

Mar 24, 2011
    He hasn't eaten much or drank much - the others are active and he isn't opening his eyes much either. Hoping that he is just really tuckered from his trip but he has been in the brooder now 7 1/2 hours and just doesn't look right. Hopefully with time he will bounce [​IMG] Is there anything I should do?

4. Veggie4life55

Veggie4life55 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2010
    West Virginia
    He might be.. but I am worried about the heavy breathing . He really should be like the others running around... alot of people won't feed their chickens raw eggs because they are afraid it will make them eat their eggs later on.... But I always feed my sick chickens raw egg because its high in protein and has fat and for a sick chicken it can really help... When they won't eat anything else alot of the time they will eat raw egg...
    But I hope your chick is ok.. Fingers crossed [​IMG] good luck... If you have time let me know it he makes it.

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  5. mcf3kids

Mar 24, 2011
    She has been about the same but does have spurts (very, very short) where she walks a bit, chirps and then lays back down - usually away from the group. I showed her again where the water is (the rest get this) and also dropped some cooked egg yolk right in front of her (the others gobbled it up and came over and robbed what I was trying to give her) its like she just doesn't get it and most of the time 99% her eyes are closed. She is def. weak - heading to bed and hoping she is alive in the morning. I let my 2 kids each pick out a chick they wanted and this is the one my youngest chose as his - hope she pulls through. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by