Normal Behavior

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Gracie_Chickie, Sep 23, 2007.

1. Gracie_Chickie

Gracie_Chickie Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2007
    Indiana
    How do I know if my chicks are expressing normal behavior? We have 1 chick named Ruby who loves to power nap all the time. We had another chick who we thought liked to power nap but then died a few days later.What are signs on how your chick is feeling?:eek:

2. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

This site helped me gage if our babies were 'normal.' I read and read and read and if I wasn't finding what I needed I posted a Q. You can also do a search to find out things that have been discussed in the past.

Sorry about the loss of one of your birds. Mine were very lethargic in the hot weather we had in summer.

At first I checked water & feed access to be sure it was 24/7. Then I checked again. And again. Now I'm relaxed. Sort of.[​IMG]

3. boomerge

boomerge Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2007
    Gracie_Chickie; Something I've done that seems to work quite well. When chicks are born and I've got them in a tub in the house, with a heating pad and a towel wrapped around pad, one of the first things I do is to put Karo(white) syrup, about 2 tablespoons in their water. Any chicks not up to par drink and it's like a complete turnaround, their eating, drinking and everything is normal. If they do die, it's because something wasn't right at time of birth. A friend of mine sent chicks home with me, about 65 total, not all at one time. Only lost 3 out of whole bunch. This is a quart water bottle for chickens. Every day I would dump a little, as shavings would get in it and mess it up. For cover at night, would cover with towels, ( dog bath towels) Their secure, content, and happy. I can keep close watch on them throughout their first weeks of growth. I basically slept with them in the same room. If you need further info, you can reply thru this site. Good luck and hope it doesn't happen again. This has worked for me for 3 yrs.

4. Gracie_Chickie

Gracie_Chickie Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2007
    Indiana
    I didn't hatch them so I wouldn't really know normal behavior but thank you;)

5. FrankBlissett

FrankBlissett Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    I think the napping is normal. The only time we've ordered chicks, they would all be running & hopping around, but every one of them would suddenly just fall asleep. Then a short while later wake and act like nothing happened.

I haven't noticed it in the chicks that have been hatched out, but then they're always taking communal naps under mom.

-Frank

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by