Normal behavior?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jhd9201, Nov 25, 2014.

1. jhd9201

jhd9201 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2014
    KS
    So being a newbie, I'm clueless about normal behavior. It seems that my JG roo is attempting to mate with several of the JG pullets. BUT!!! They are not having it. She seems to fight, fluff her neck feathers, fluff her wings. I have seen them go feet first, it's odd. There are no comb or wattles present, why I think she's a she. Is that normal?? Is that part of a mating dance?? The roo and pullet were hatched May 25th.

2. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    Quote:She is a hen.Roosters will not mate with other roosters.It is normal.Being a teen she is defending her body from that evilness.Nothing bad.Seems normal to me.

3. jhd9201

Nov 20, 2014
    KS
    Lol, evilness. ;-) ok good. Does that mean she's ready, or I just have a horny ready roo?

4. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    Wait,I am pretty sure that pullets a hen now,wait no next spring though.But she's not ready really.Could I have a full bodys hot of her?

5. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Posting a picture would help but roosters are always ready to mate before the hens are. A pullet who is high on the pecking order, boss hen in the making, is very likely to try putting the young rooster in his place when he makes unwanted advances.

6. jhd9201

Nov 20, 2014
    KS
    [​IMG]
    Here she is. I think cafarmgirl is right, she's pretty dominant. Her comb etc is less red than the other two. Plus she's a JG, imagine it'll be spring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by