normal behaviour anybody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Help_battery_hens, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Help_battery_hens

Help_battery_hens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Northamptonshire
    Hi I have recently been thrown into the world of chickens and am officially obsessed. This is my first time as a chicken keeper and am getting used to their behaviour. but... is it normal for hens not to want to come out of the coop in the wind? and to sunbathe a lot? I have one chicken and i always think shes cold. she has some feathers on her back and chest now but the rest of her is still bald (they were rescues). she is always sunbathing and if its windy wont free range the others dont mind what the weather is they will always be getting up to mischief. is this normal? can anyone put my mind at rest?

2. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    They don't like the wind especially a cold north wind. Either do I.

3. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Well, if you were bald, would YOU go out in the wind??? They all have different personalities, just like people, this is something you will find out!

4. Help_battery_hens

May 24, 2011
    Northamptonshire
    thank you... true i dont like the wind either. im going to knit her a jumper as the winter is coming in fast and hard this year (so ive read)

5. remuda1

remuda1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Granbury, Texas
    That sounds normal to me. If it is getting pretty cool there at night now, you may want to think about a heat lamp at night till she grows her feathers back. You can hang it and if she stays under it, you know she needs it. If she stays out from under it, you can take it down. A lot of it depends on what your temps are doing now and what your housing situation is. It's great that you rescued these birds, I'm sure they'll have a long, happy life with you [​IMG]

ETA: Oops! Guess we were typing at the same time [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  6. Help_battery_hens

May 24, 2011
    Northamptonshire
    lol thanks we were typing at the same time lol.

i am moving them from the outside coop to the shed for the winter. going to start work on converting the shed tomorrow hopefully (if the tail end of the hurricane is not too bad) so i will hang a heat lamp in the shed as i think it is going to be 0c and minus temperatures for most of this winter. Im also going to insulate the walls of the shed too.

7. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Hey Stoopid.........I am but I wear a hat. Put a tank top on the chicken. Oh and yes, I hate the cold north wind. That's the reason I live in Georgia. It's just not as bad.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by