Normal chick behavior

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by brookelynn724, Mar 11, 2017.

1. brookelynn724

brookelynn724 Just Hatched

Mar 11, 2017
    Evansville, IN
    Hi all! Brand new chicken momma, I've been researching and studying up for weeks and thought I was prepared. I think I've scared myself reading all the possible problems that can happen though!
    So I've brought my 6 girls home and set them up in their brooder. I'm curious, what's considered normal, and what should I watch out for?
    A couple of them were sleeping standing up and a few were laid down in the bedding and I immediately panicked! If they stop chirping I worry and go over to peek in on them. I'm going to drive myself mad lol!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Incessant, high pitched chirping means they are cold. Some sleep standing up, and then fall over - some cuddle down - normal. Relax, they will be fine.

3. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    They need heat/warmth, food/water & clean living quarters and an adoring Mom = YOU. sourland is right RELAX & enjoy but if you think something maybe wrong ASK, that's what makes BYC members great. Helpful & someone always there to help [​IMG]

4. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    Lol just wait for that dust bathing thing to happen!
    They will look like they are having a horrible emergency flailing about in the shavings.

Huddled under the lamp in the middle is another sign of being to cold.

I agree with sourland too. Relax and enjoy the little peepers.

5. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Oh yea, forgot about the "dust bath" [​IMG] My Son thought they were dying, looks like they're having a seizure.

6. snow5164

snow5164 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2015
    Canada
    I love when they're running and just lay down face first and close their eyes[​IMG], I thought she had died!!

That's true they scream a high pitch when they have a need !!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by