normal chick poo?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lashla, Feb 5, 2014.

1. lashla

lashla Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2014
    Oregon
    Hello BYC!!

SO I have two chicks who are about 2 weeks old.....A barred rock and a buff orpington. So far everything has been great, EXCEPT:

1) I noticed some fecal buildup on my barred rock's bum and it looked like she was having trouble pottying, so I took a warm rag and cleaned her up. Then a few minutes later I noticed a huge poo on the floor (although I am not 100% sure it was her because I wasn't watching carefully)

2) After cleaning her, I noticed her vent area was a little irritated looking.....probably from rubbing it with a rag? Anyways, it looks like normal now....ONLY.....

3) She pooed again today and there was some strange red in it?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So here are my questions:
    1) should I be worried?
    2) Has anybody seen odd colored poos like this with their chicks?
    3) Is there anything I should/can do?

Thank you! I am trying to be vigilant about keeping my chickies healthy and I appreciate any feedback! <3

Lauren

2. Beakz

Beakz Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2012
    looks normal to me, what are u feeding them??

3. lashla

lashla Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2014
    Oregon
    Starter feed and a "chick stick" treat that is hanging in their brooder. Also a few pieces of canned corn here and there....they love it!

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Do they have chick grit available?

5. Sagetown

Sagetown Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2014
    S E Oklahoma
    Starter Feed usually has all the ingredients needed for baby chicks, and should be medicated.
    Keep an eye on the chick and keep its vent cleaned. Stress causes sticky vent in newly hatched chicks. The white on the poo is its urine. You may want to pull all the extra goodies from their feed until this problem clears up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by