Normal chick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 77horses, Nov 12, 2008.

1. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Hi!
    we have a baby buff cochin chick and her name is Pumpkin. Here's some info about her:

Name: Pumpkin
    breed: Cochin
    weight: unknown
    height: unknown
    color: buff
    feather condition: very fluffy and mostly clean
    feet: clean and normal. light light yellow in color. feathers on feet are a little dirty, but normal.
    eyes: wide and curious. normal
    wings: normal. no injuries
    legs: normal
    beak: normal
    nose: a little runny. when she sneezes, sometimes little snot bubbles come out. mucus is not smelly and it's clear.
    Head: small
    body: looks round and really fluffy with feathers
    poop: green colored, sometimes watery. sometimes white in it. sometimes it looks like some blood is in poop but she is acting normal and healthy overall
    behavior: hyper, active. Likes to take naps under the lamp. sometimes skittish but likes to be held. Likes to jump up on the side of the broody box. eats regularly on own and drinks water on own.
    Food: chick starter feed, mixed with ground corn that is small enough for her to eat. sometimes we give her grass as a snack and she likes to eat donut pieces and bread for treats.
    Water: clean usually and always available.
    Crop: fairly good size. usually pretty big. rarely bony, but sometimes a little empty.
    Any other health issues?: Lice. Runny nose(clear and not smelly)

That's most of her info. Does she seem like a normal chick? We are gonna get rid of the lice soon, once we get the powder and stuff. any thoughts about her runny nose?

Thanks!

2. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Bold parts= important parts/questioned parts

Here's a picture of the little cutie! [​IMG]
    (she's sitting on a bed)

[​IMG]

3. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    anyonnneee.....????? [​IMG] please????
    so my main questions are is it OK for her to have a little blood in her poop once and a while? and what about the runny nose???? [​IMG] I can't make it any more simpler. I've posted a picture of her, I've listed everything about her, and I've broken it down to two simple questions. Not to mention i've been patient for an answer for a whole day and a half! [​IMG] Can anyone please answer me???
    thanks [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  4. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    You shouldn't be seeing any blood in her poop. Most likely, she's got cocci. If it were me, I'd put them all on a course of sulmet, because if she's got it, it's likely they all do. Good luck!

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Are you sure you are seeing blood and not something she ate? Cocci will usually present with lethargic chicks before any blood, since blood is nearing the end.

6. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Silkie's right; I was going to ask if you are feeding chick grit...if not, they need this to digest anything other than chick feed or soft food/treats such as yogurt. Maybe that's part of what you are seeing in the poop? If they don't have grit, they can pass food out that are not digested, so they'd look like what they looked like...going in.

7. peeboo

peeboo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    fort bragg nc
    wish i had an idea but i dont. only thing i am good for is a *bump

8. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    OK thanks everyone for the responses! [​IMG] It's not actual blood, but her poop just looks red colored in places... [​IMG] again, probablu not cocci, since she is acting active and everything. and the mucus is clear and not smelly that I knew of. [​IMG] Wish I had a pic of her droppings, but I don't right now.
    again, thanks for the replies!

oh and we DO have this grit that we give to our parakeets. Could we give that to the chicks?
    and Pumpkin shares a box with her older friend, Raven. Raven also has a runny nose, but it's clear and not smelly. and her poop is normal and she is healthy-looking.

9. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    and her sister, Poppy, died several weeks ago for some reason. She wouldn't eat anything. But Pumpkin has always been active and she eats and drinks water all by herself. (not to mension, she's actually quite a pig when she's eating! LOL) [​IMG]

10. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I think parakeet grit is okay for chicks.

They shouldn't have runny noses. I'm hoping that you're not seeing the first symptoms of something...sounds like you are watching very closely, which is good, of course!! Are you sure the noses are runny? Could it be a drip left on the beak after a drink or something? Any sneezing/coughing?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by