1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Normal coccidia egg count??? *non-bloody graphic poop pic*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Leihamarie, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Leihamarie

Leihamarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2016
    San Diego
    hey all! Can anyone provide a link (or knows themselves) what the normal coccidia egg count is in a fecal? I got results back from a diarrhea sample I took in showing >30. I just want a reference point as to how severe Mabel's coccidiosis is...

Also, just a reiteration of the point that not all coccidia cases have bloody stool. This was the poop that came back positive for coccidiosis:

[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I think that is a question to ask your veterinarian's office. I can't find any information online about the numbers. Most chicken's gut contain some coccidia, and the greater the number, the more they may be affected. Some BYC members do their own fecals at home, but I would ask someone who had experience. A simple phone call to the office who performed the test probably would be the best way to go.

3. Leihamarie

Jul 28, 2016
    San Diego
    Thanks @eggcessive I'm waiting for a call back.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    @KsKingBeeprobably knows.

5. KsKingBee

KsKingBee Overrun With Chickens

It depends on how the exam was performed, to be able to compare fecals they have to be done in the same way. My vet taught me and we both use about two ml of fecal material if you use more or less you will have different results being either higher or lower. I was instructed to not worry about 20 or less and if over twenty I should treat. Peafowl usually have some cocci and even worm eggs present that will bloom if they become stressed.

1 person likes this.
  6. Leihamarie

Jul 28, 2016
    San Diego
    Thanks @KsKingBee ! it's a good reference point. Someday I will probably start doing my own, but for now, I need the vet to run them. After re-reading the lab report, they didn't actually specify the number, only that it was greater than 30, which is "many" on their scale and warrants treatment. So far there's not much improvement on Corid. I'll give it another few days and try a sulfa like Albon.

1 person likes this.
  7. KsKingBee

I have totally quit Corid and use Sulfadimethoxine exclusively. If you buy the powder use 2 gm or one tsp per gallon of water for six days. It has proven to work for me and verified with fecal exams before and after treatment. Ask your vet to order it for you, mine charges about $12 a packet.

2 people like this.
  8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I think Albon is sulfadimethoxine.

1 person likes this.
  9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Albon, Dimethox, and Sulfamed-G were all brands of sulfadimethoxine. Those are not available without a prescription any longer.

10. KsKingBee

Yes, but when buying a Sulfa drug be sure it ends with oxine and not zine which showed less effectiveness in my FF exams.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by