Normal Cockerel Behavior?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chebird, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Chebird

Chebird Songster

Apr 16, 2019
    Chino Valley, AZ
    I have a flock of 16 youngsters, two of which are confirmed roosters; both of them are EEs. The bigger one is approximately 4 months old, and his hormones are really kicking in. I have two old gals in the flock which won't have a thing to do with him. The others are all younger pullets - none of which are ready to lay. You've probably already guessed my dilemma: unwanted sexual attention. He will chase a pullet and take her down by grabbing her on the head. He has a favorite who has lost a few feathers, nothing horrible. Nobody goes near him. He sneaks in on the roost after everyone is comfortable. He's been fine with people. I am hoping he will outgrow these unwanted tendencies when the gals reach laying age. Will he, or do you think it will get worse?

Shadrach, Chickassan and DobieLover like this.
  2. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Sounds normal. He will eventually outgrow it but you might want to consider isolating him from the pullets for a while to give them a break.

Chickassan and Chebird like this.
  3. Chickassan

Chickassan Wattle Fondler

It is normal, but I do agree you should seperate at least until the pullets are close to laying.
    He could end up breaking a neck forcing them. :(

Chebird and DobieLover like this.
  4. Trux

Trux Crowing

Mar 26, 2018
    SoSoCal
    Yup I agree x 3 Isolation would be best for your ladies. At that age the boys need their own pad as it were. Think of them as college teens on spring break:D

Chebird, Chickassan and Mrs. K like this.
  5. Chebird

Chebird Songster

Apr 16, 2019
    Chino Valley, AZ
    I will have hubby create a bachelor pad. Thanks so much!

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Temporary separation or integration into a flock of mature hens who will teach him manners. I would move any other cockerels along with him.

Chickassan and Chebird like this.
  7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Do you plan on keeping any males?
    If not, get rid of them all now.

If you do want to keep one, I'd remove all but one male.
    Multiple males create an environment of competition bringing out the worst behaviors in all of them. Have seen incredible and immediate calming when other males are removed.

Chebird and Trux like this.
  8. Chebird

Chebird Songster

Apr 16, 2019
    Chino Valley, AZ
    We are planning on keeping both males. They were raised together and so far are getting along just fine. Each one has his own group of hens. The problem with the bigger roo seems to happen mostly at dawn and dusk. I just pick him up and give him lots of unwanted loving, and his misdirected affections stop. Hubby is out-of-town. I may ask him to divide the run when he gets back if things don't calm down. Virgie (bigger roo) has actually calmed down considerately the last few days. The older girls are scolding him, and they are who is actually in charge.

9. Shadrach

Shadrach Roosterist

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    Chebird likes this.
  10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Why do you need 2?