Normal comb?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mfp4073, Apr 8, 2019.

Tags:
  1. mfp4073

mfp4073 Hatching

Apr 24, 2018
    Hi, I live in Los Angeles (so no frostbite risk) and I noticed that one of my rhode island reds has some dark purple on her comb. The problem is that I don't know if she had this darkness before or not. I don't think so but not sure. She's eating and hanging out fairly normal. The only difference in behavior is that she the last week or so she has been sitting a lot like she laying. They were dewormed about six weeks ago. Should I be concerned? Any input would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

-7-6- likes this.
  2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi @mfp4073 :frow Welcome To BYC
    How old is your hen?
    What's her poop like?
    What do you feed including treats?

You mention that she's been sitting a lot recently - when was the last time she laid an egg?
    Feel her abdomen for bloat/swelling or fluid - cup your hand and feel below the vent between the legs. Compare her to other hens if you need too.
    The purple could indicate reduction in oxygen, heart or organ problems, if that is not her normal coloring.
    Sometimes hens can have reproductive problems like Internal Laying, Egg Yolk Peritonitis, cancer, tumors and Salpingitis. Ascties (water/fluid) in the abdomen can also accompany any of these condition or can be a sign of liver or heart malfunction.

3. mfp4073

mfp4073 Hatching

Apr 24, 2018
    1) About 2 years old
    2) I haven't found any abnormal poop
    3) Yes. Maybe too much? I use a lay mash as the normal food and throw them out scratch in the morning with some meal worms. Usually some grapes before I leave for work.

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    When is the last time she laid an egg?

-7-6- likes this.
  5. -7-6-

-7-6- In the Brooder

Apr 10, 2019
    Desert lands
    We had a cock die with some of the same symptoms! Is she acting cold? His comb turned purple after a while.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: