Normal egg with a hole in the end and whites on outside...what's up?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by quellefromage, Nov 15, 2010.

1. quellefromage

quellefromage New Egg

Nov 15, 2010
    Hi all,

I'm new here, so I hope I do this right. I've searched all over and can't find this specific malformed egg...a normal egg with a smallish, maybe 1/8 to 1/4 inch hole in the narrow end, and a lot of the inner whites hanging out. The egg inside the shell looks normal, too. The shell isn't soft or thin. It looks like the shell just didn't finish forming. There's even a bit of a raised edge around the hole. This has happened 2 times in the last 2 weeks, and now two days in a row. None of the girls is acting weird and I don't know which of them is laying this thing. I have 2 Red Comets and 2 Isa Browns, about 18 months old. No food changes that I know of. I'm just kind of concerned that one of them is sick or something. Anyone ever see anything like this before? Should I be worried, or just keep tossing them out?

Quelle

2 Red Comets, 2 Isa Browns, 1 RI Red, and one decimated yard.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. quellefromage

quellefromage New Egg

Nov 15, 2010
    I'd found that one, but it's not a pinhole, it's more a large pea sized hole with the white trailing out. It's pretty gross. [​IMG] But I'll set out some more calcium for them tomorrow. Can't hurt. Thanks for the help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by