Normal feet..?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by iTyrizzle, Nov 23, 2016.

1. iTyrizzle

iTyrizzle Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2016
    A R K A N S A S
    I know this chicken is older, but are her feet normal or does she have mites?[​IMG]

2. chickluvinfreak

chickluvinfreak Chillin' With My Peeps

What breed is she? The feet and leg coloring look strange but it might just be normal for her breed. A chicken with mites will have very bumpy scaly legs. Hers look pretty smooth in the photo. If you run your hand over her legs are they rough and bumpy or smooth? That should help you determine If she does have leg mites.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  3. iTyrizzle

Feb 25, 2016
    A R K A N S A S
    She's a Black Australorp.

4. iTyrizzle

Feb 25, 2016
    A R K A N S A S
    I did not feel her legs. I just noticed they look "ashey", like she needs some lotion or something.

5. chickluvinfreak

I've never had an austrolorp so I don't know if that's the normal colour or not. But as long as her legs are smooth than I wouldn't worry abut mites. Here's a couple pictures of chickens with scaly leg mites to compare.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. iTyrizzle

Feb 25, 2016
    A R K A N S A S
    Thanks. Yeah I,have seen the bottom one. That looks like a really bad case of it. I will feel their legs when i get home in the morning.

7. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    Black Australorps usually have feet like that color. If her scales on her legs are peeling up (like the pictures above from chickuvinfreak), then she may have mites.

8. chickluvinfreak

Ok, good luck. You might want to wash her legs and feet a bit to see if maybe it's just dried mud or dust causing the ash colour

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by