Normal for chicks to hatch on the 18th night / 19th morning?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jmay402, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Jmay402

Jmay402 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2015
    I have a Farm Innovations model 4250 incubator. This is my first time hatching chicks out of an incubator. I took out the turner last night, and laid all the eggs on the bottom of the incubator. Within hours, 2 were pipping out. One hatched during the night. Four more have hatched today which is the 19th day. Is this normal? Everything I read said to take them off the turners on day 18 and raise the humidity to around 65% so they will not be too dry when they are hatching. I barely had enough time to get the humidity raised before they started.

2. jnr005

jnr005 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2016
    How are your temps? Mine almost always hatch on day 19...but now that I have more reliable thermometers I can see that my bator runs 101 most of the time and occasionally 102...so with higher temps I am getting earlier hatches. After this hatch ends I am going to try to adjust down a degree.

3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    If your temps are running slightly high, you'll see them start hatching out a little early. My temps usually end up settling in my old LG around 100.5 instead of the recommended 99.5 so mine tend to normally start hatching out day 19 and done by late day 20. All healthy and grow into fine adult birds.

Another thing is smaller eggs, bantams are known for hatching a day or two early regardless. Doesn't mean that they will, but it is common. My last silkie hatch I had my first internal pip late day 17 and external pip and hatch day 18. Earliest I ever had. All hatched and are growing great 10 weeks later.

4. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    The bator may be running a bit hot, it may just be the nature of the eggs you were hatching, or you didn't count the days right. For example, 21 days = if you set the eggs on a Tue, they should hatch on a Tues.

5. Jmay402

Jmay402 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2015
    Thanks you all for the replies. I guess my incubator does run a bit hot then. I know the days were correct, because it has the digital day counter on the display along with the temps. I guess I will turn off the automatic turner a bit earlier to account for the early hatching. 7 out of the 8 eggs hatched, so I am happy about that. I am leaving the other in there for another day or two just in case though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by