1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

"normal" for dead chickens?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by heydeej, Jul 31, 2013.

1. heydeej

heydeej Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2010
    Lyons, MI
    when a chicken dies, does its vent stick out? I know that it is common for animals (and humans) to defecate when they die, so I didn't know if this was the case or if she had a prolapse and I didn't catch it.

I heard a weird noise in the coop last night. It ended up beng this hen breathing open mouthed and making a sorta honking kinda noise. I thought maybe the heat or ammonia was bad in the top of the coop so I went to get a fan and some Sweet PDZ (for ammonia).
    When I got back she had dropped to the floor and was doing the death flop. I took her out to fresh air but she was already gone. None of the other chickens seem to be having any trouble other than panting from the heat. (No one else is honking) and I never did smell any ammonia, so I really don't think that is it.
    In examing her body, the crop didn't seem like it had much in it, I saw no signs of physical trauma or parasites, but her vent was protuding.

Any ideas?

BTW, I have had no other deaths or similar symptoms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by