Normal For Red Sexlinks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LadyVictorian, Apr 11, 2017.

1. LadyVictorian

LadyVictorian Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2016
    Minnesota
    Well I did get two red sexlinks I rescued from work and yes they were sexed pullets and yes they are both the right colors for girls but I have noticed at about 4 weeks that one of the girls has a larger comb growing than the other. It isn't red or even pinkish just larger. Is it normal for red sexlinks to have separate sized combs? Can one express larger comb from one parents while her sister expresses the smaller comb from another parent? I'm not worried about her being a rooster at all because as I said the comb is hardly pink or redish and is the same color as her sister but I was wondering if this is normal for sexlinks to have such differences even between chickens from the same hatchery/batch? Even their colors are turning out vastly different. The one with the smaller comb is more cream in her color with lots of white and a little red but the one with the larger comb is mostly a vibrant mahogany color and white at the tip of her tail and wings.

2. Leah567

Leah567 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 3, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    Yes, It is normal. Some red sex links combs are bigger then others. Can I see pics?

3. LadyVictorian

Dec 22, 2016
    Minnesota
    Need to wait for my phone to charge then I will get pictures.

4. Leah567

Apr 3, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    That's okay!

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Photos would help, but assuming they're both Red Sex-links, both sound like pullets (one just has a larger comb than the other).

6. LadyVictorian

Dec 22, 2016
    Minnesota
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. Leah567

Apr 3, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    Look like females.

8. LadyVictorian

Dec 22, 2016
    Minnesota
    That is good, I knew they both looked the same as babies are are ISA browns so they shouldn't have surprise boys in the batch and they were sexed pullets but then I saw Elsa has the little larger comb and I wondered if somehow maybe I magically got the one NHR or RIR rooster that somehow got into the bin or something. Even if we never carried those two breeds that is just my kind of luck. I could pick a chick from a box of pullets and pick up the one rooster. >.<

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by