Normal for this many chicks to die?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TrufflesTheChic, Mar 18, 2013.

1. TrufflesTheChic

TrufflesTheChic Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2012
    Middle TN
    I bought 6 buff orps last week. One died. I know it's pretty normal for a few to pass away so I don't think anything of it. However, I went back last sat to buy 3 more buffs and two have died today. To me they were acting lethargic and not as energized as the Marans I had bought with them but I just thought maybe that was there personality. I'm going back sat to ask the hatchery if they have heard of anyone else complaining about the buffs. Maybe I just got a bad batch?
    Im buying some medicated chick feed tomorrow as well. Just wondering if I'm over reacting or not or if this is just normal. Do buffs usually act a lot more calm than the other breeds? I know they are known for their friendliness, it's why I bought them but maybe I'm mistaking it for them being sick instead?

2. Megan Amber

Megan Amber Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    It actually does sound like a bad batch from the hatchery. I have had this happen to me except they were cochin's ,another very calm breed.

3. owennreedsmama

owennreedsmama Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2013
    Sorry to hear that.

4. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Hi,
    Scroll down thru this "Raising Chicks" forum and find the thread
    " How To Deal With Travel Stress In Baby Chicks".
    Best,
    Karen

5. SequoyahFarms

SequoyahFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2013
    Knoxville Tn
    What hatchery did you get your birds from? I bought a couple chicks from a local hatchery a little over a week ago. They seemed weaker than the other chicks I have in my brooder. I have mine on medicated feed, electrolytes, and probiotics and they perked up considerably.

6. TrufflesTheChic

Jul 1, 2012
    Middle TN
    Thanks for your concern everyone.
    I got them from the poultry house. It's a local hatchery that has been coming up every sat to Bonnie's barnyard in triune. I'm going back this sat to speak to them.

7. SequoyahFarms

SequoyahFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2013
    Knoxville Tn
    Hmm. I've heard some pretty good things about them. They are out of Franklin right? They've always been up on their bio security too. They don't let anyone come and pick up birds at the farm for that reason. How are the chicks today? I swear by electrolytes and the probiotics for the seeker chicks. Might even start them off with a little sugar water. I've never been to Bonnie's (they've always seemed to be closed when I drive thru there) but I'm sure the TSC right there off 840 has them. Either way, I'd be curious to hear what they say after you talk to them

8. TrufflesTheChic

Jul 1, 2012
    Middle TN
    They are doing fine today. I got probiotics for their water and they seem chipper. Maybe I just had two bad ones? I've heard good things about them too. Very nice people as well.

9. Megan Amber

Megan Amber Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    Glad to hear it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by