Normal laying rate??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenbarn-gal, Aug 16, 2010.

1. chickenbarn-gal

chickenbarn-gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Michigan
    Okay, I bought 6 chickens, turns out 3 of them were roosters.. [​IMG] sooo, two of them are gone with 3 hens and 1 roo. (I am going to be buying more hens in springtime)
    So my hens JUST started laying, and so far the 3 hens have laid 4 eggs today! I'm really surprised! Just their first day and all of them are laying! So, is there a "normal" rate of eggs I should be getting each day??? So you know I have 2 isa browns and 1 Americana... Please if you have these types of chickens can you PLEASE tell me what their normal rate of eggs they lay per week???

2. Iheartchicks<3:)

Iheartchicks<3:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    probably about 1 every 1-2 days...

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Actually, an egg takes about 25 hours to go through the reproductive tract. Your Isa Browns will likely be champion egg layers, but Ameraucanas are not known for their huge egg production (just their pretty eggs). Some hens will lay more than one a day, but it is very unusual.

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello! I'm wondering if one hen layed an egg maybe in the evening, after you had checked, and then layed another egg in the morning, so when you found them, there were four instead of three? (Just guessing...) I wanted to mention that I bought my Ameraucana's from the Meyer Hatchery in Polk Ohio, and truthfully they are EEs, but they are really great layers! They lay a medium egg almost every day. LOVE EM! Can't say about the Isa Browns, because I don't have any....

5. Rooster Cogburn

Rooster Cogburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2010
    S.W. Washington State
    You should get between six and eight per hour from each hen.[​IMG] Just kidding.

6. LedgeWoods

LedgeWoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Midwest
    I'm wondering the same thing...out of 41 hens, I've only gotten 3 eggs in the last 6 days. I understand they are just starting, but I thought I'd have at least an egg a day by now! THere are at least 8 hens with very red, large combs and wattles.

...and while I'm at it, are oyster shells necessary if the chickens free-range all day??
    thanx!!

7. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Quote:It's hot. Everything slows down in the heat. And if they are just starting then it will take a while to work out all the kinks in the plumbing.

Oyster shells are not necessary, but recommended. At their age they need layer pellets and should get enough calcium from those. When they get older they may need some additional calcium.

8. VVolfpack

VVolfpack Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2008
    Yukon, OK
    I have 3 hens ( 1 Ameraucana, 1 BSL, and 1 SLW) I get 3 eggs most days, Occasionally I only get 2. They seem to be laying about 6 days a week each.
    They have all been laying about a month now

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  9. LedgeWoods

LedgeWoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Midwest
    I'm going to keep the girls in "lock-down" in the coop a little longer today since it's in the 50's this morning and see if anyone decides to actually use a nestbox! They do explore on the edge of & a few yards into the woods near the coop when they free-range and maybe they are hiding the eggs on me! I've had them on layer pellets for 2 weeks & it's good to know that oyster shells are optional at this point. Thanks for the response [​IMG]

(They are just over 18 weeks old - with the exception of one SLW who was larger from the get-go and may be a week or so older.)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  10. DurangoCal

DurangoCal Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2010
    Durango, Colorado
    Quote:It's hot. Everything slows down in the heat. And if they are just starting then it will take a while to work out all the kinks in the plumbing.

Oyster shells are not necessary, but recommended. At their age they need layer pellets and should get enough calcium from those. When they get older they may need some additional calcium.

I've learned it can take a while to get started and each hen is different. From my new batch of 25 pullets, some are 20 and the rest 22 weeks old, I've gotten 4 eggs for two weeks straight-until Sunday when I got 7!!! Then yesterday, Monday, I got 5. Waiting is the hardest thing to do! So they are starting to boost up production slowly but surely! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by