Normal Mandarin and White Mandarin BOYS? Need help.

Only about a hundred this year. But thanks anyway.
smile.png
My big number days are at a close as I get older and want fewer but rarer ones. I only have 3 pairs of regulars left as of now. Sold the apricots I had too and only one white pair. My white ones are in molt as are most of my ducks right now but the boy still has beige coloring on his head. And as Dr todd pointed out earlier they both have the red bills so you cant use that as an indicator. Good luck with your mandies either way. I will always keep 1 pair of each color as they were my first exotic ducks and will always be in the top ten beautiful waterfowl.

Last edited:
DUDE. I've just gotta comment, i've never seen these ducks before they're so pretty O_O; getemgetemgetem

Im not sure what colors you will get but I do have to say, you will have a bunch of fun with these little guys. I have a pair of regulars, maybe getting a pair of whites next year. They are getting a new fully featured enclosed pen this year to. I spoil them just a little.
roll.png
Here is a website I found you can take a look it has a lot of good info on the whites breed with regular. http://www.mallardlanefarms.com/mandarins.htm You might have to copy and paste it. But here is what he this site says

Split to white is a term commonly used to decribe those birds that are regularly colored but have the genetics to produce some color mutated offspring, in this case white. These birds normally aquire these genetics by having one white parent. Listed below are breeding results that I have recorded from my own breeding program, for the four available mandarin pairs listed above. Percentages are approximent and may vary some from your own results.

Regular Mandarin Pair- all normal colored offspring

White Mandarin Pair- all white offspring

Split/White Drake w/white hen- 60-70% white offspring all of the remaining regular colored birds will be split/white.

Split/White Drake w/reg colored hen- 20-25% white offspring about 50% of the regular colored offspring will be split/white while the other half will not carry the white gene. It is noteworthy to mention here, that there will be no way to tell the split/white birds from the regular ones except thru careful breeding.

Here is what I got. The white seems to have some head feathering but the owners said it's "quack noise" is much louder that the other and it never developed a male-looking plumage. They fed them chicken layer but got no eggs that they found. They were in a big enclosure with lots of grass. Hard to tell gender in the picture but any advice I will greatly appreciate.

16143_aamandarins.jpg

Im affraid you have two males. If you look at the head you can see their crest. The females dont have this, they just look normal. Like a wood duck female. Now you just gotta find two pretty little females to go with them.
wink.png

Quote:
Well, I think I got a fair deal on buying the two anyway. $40 for both. I'll just have to have to find some girls to go with them. Anyone have any idea where to find some?

Back
Top Bottom