Normal? Or is my chick being picked on??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kate Shaw, May 19, 2019.

1. Kate Shaw

Kate Shaw Chirping

Jan 24, 2019
    First time chicken owner- One of my 10 week old chicks has a bald spot near her tail. Is this normal? Is she being picked on? Something else?

Attached Files:

2. Virginia and James

Virginia and James Songster

Dec 20, 2017
    Western North Carolina
    Yeeks, looks like picking.
    Keep an eye on the behavior of those around her. Get that cleaned up?
    We use Blue Kote to distract the birds from picking at open wounds on others. Seems to work well for us.

Kate Shaw likes this.
  3. Kate Shaw

Kate Shaw Chirping

Jan 24, 2019
    Thank you! Where do you get it?

Virginia and James likes this.
  4. Virginia and James

Virginia and James Songster

Dec 20, 2017
    Western North Carolina
    Local to us is Tractor Supply. I'm seeing a lot of people recommending Vetericyn, which should be found the same (local feed store, basically).

5. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

What feed are they on? How big is the Coop? How many birds do you have?
    Blu-kote doesn't deter picking. It's a wound spray.

6. Kate Shaw

Kate Shaw Chirping

Jan 24, 2019
    Hi!
    I have 12 pullets. Currently I’m feeding them Nutrena Nature Wise chick starter. I was buying a more expensive brand but they were just making a mess with it so I figured I would wait until they are outside with hung feeders to spend more- I don’t know if that’s a good idea or not ‍♀️
    They are still in a 6’ x 4’ brooder box but will be moving out to the coop in the next day or so which is 8’ x 4’ with a large fenced in run.

Criticalicious likes this.
  7. Criticalicious

Criticalicious Songster

Feb 25, 2017
    New Market, VA
    Blue Kote CAN deter picking, because the blue color covers red wounds and blood attracts more picking. Vetericyn is also a wound spray and it comes in a blue bottle but it's unlikely to deter picking because it comes out clear.

8. Criticalicious

Criticalicious Songster

Feb 25, 2017
    New Market, VA
    6'x4' may be feeling cramped or they may be feeling bored if there's nothing fun to do. Is there a sand box in the brooder? Maybe add some plants from outside or fresh herbs to play with

Kate Shaw likes this.
  9. danceswithronin

danceswithronin Crowing

May 24, 2018
    Alabama
    Getting picked looks like.

I swear by Pick No More lotion (you can pick it up at Tractor Supply) - it stinks to high heaven, dyes purple, and it must taste NASTY because it cured my brooder chicks of vent-pecking literally overnight.

I also think ten weeks old is too old to be stuck in a brooder, which might be causing some behavioral issues.

10. Kate Shaw

Kate Shaw Chirping

Jan 24, 2019
    I picked up the blue kote but I will keep your suggestion in mind if it doesn’t stop- sounds like they are both good to keep on hand anyway.
    And I agree 10 weeks is too old to be the brooder. Unfortunately the rain has been a huge hinderence to completing this project timely :-/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: