Normal? Or is my chick being picked on??

6'x4' may be feeling cramped or they may be feeling bored if there's nothing fun to do. Is there a sand box in the brooder? Maybe add some plants from outside or fresh herbs to play with
Thanks for the suggestions! I throw grass in almost daily but they definitely like the clumps more! I’ll do more of that!

We've been delayed in finishing our coop, too. Rain, when it comes has been downpour type.

I have four 4-5 week old pullets still in the brooder and to appease boredom and get exercise I've strung up a mini run in the yard using tomato gardening stakes and 2ft chicken wire just loosely bent and fixed around the stakes. I put some tree branches and stacked wood blocks in there and between bouts of rain I'll take them out and they get to fly around and LOVE playing king of the high place.

Another option is block off your kitchen or laundry room/basement and set up a little obstacle course there (basically anywhere they can be contained and the floors are easily covered in newspaper/swept!) You'd be surprised how far even an hour of free running/play time will go towards peaceful napping and happy grooming the rest of the day!

I picked up the blue kote but I will keep your suggestion in mind if it doesn’t stop- sounds like they are both good to keep on hand anyway.
And I agree 10 weeks is too old to be the brooder. Unfortunately the rain has been a huge hinderence to completing this project timely :-/

I know them feels, I'm in the same pickle myself right now with a coop expansion and four more chicks on the way from the hatchery plus a dozen in the incubator!

I agree with the previous posts regarding the space. Tight quarters will lead to pecking on each other. As to the bald spot, I saw skin but no blood, right? No reddish looking skin? If it's normal and not reddish, that might be self-picking from boredom. But either way, I like using organic Neem Oil for three reasons. 1) It's stinky and repels insects, also kills mites; 2) It's highly restorative and beneficial (I use it on all six dogs when they have scratches or itchy spots going on; and 3) Because it's stinky, the other birds don't peck at her raw area. I've had great results with Neem Oil on 5 of my birds, different ages. I hope this helps.

I agree with the previous posts regarding the space. Tight quarters will lead to pecking on each other. As to the bald spot, I saw skin but no blood, right? No reddish looking skin? If it's normal and not reddish, that might be self-picking from boredom. But either way, I like using organic Neem Oil for three reasons. 1) It's stinky and repels insects, also kills mites; 2) It's highly restorative and beneficial (I use it on all six dogs when they have scratches or itchy spots going on; and 3) Because it's stinky, the other birds don't peck at her raw area. I've had great results with Neem Oil on 5 of my birds, different ages. I hope this helps.
Great suggestion! Thank you!!
We've been delayed in finishing our coop, too. Rain, when it comes has been downpour type.

I have four 4-5 week old pullets still in the brooder and to appease boredom and get exercise I've strung up a mini run in the yard using tomato gardening stakes and 2ft chicken wire just loosely bent and fixed around the stakes. I put some tree branches and stacked wood blocks in there and between bouts of rain I'll take them out and they get to fly around and LOVE playing king of the high place.

Another option is block off your kitchen or laundry room/basement and set up a little obstacle course there (basically anywhere they can be contained and the floors are easily covered in newspaper/swept!) You'd be surprised how far even an hour of free running/play time will go towards peaceful napping and happy grooming the rest of the day!
great idea!! This rain has been brutal!!

Back
Top Bottom