Normal Roo Behavior?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LovinMyChickies, Jul 30, 2008.

1. LovinMyChickies

LovinMyChickies Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2008
    Redding, California
    My Barred Rock Rooster is 15 weeks today and seem well on his way to being the boss.

Lately, he is rather nasty to some of the hens. He bites at them for no reason. Is this normal?

You know what they say about Karma. He should be nice to these ladies. [​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Roos can be stinkers. Is he also trying to mount the hen's back when he bites? Usually they will bite the hen on the back of the neck and try to hold on while they mount the hen.
    Btw, after having some problems with one of my roosters becoming too bossy, I followed some great advice which included not allowing him to mate or any way harass the hens in front of me. That way he learns that I am the top "roo" and he's not to mess with MY hens.

3. LovinMyChickies

May 13, 2008
    Redding, California
    He does not appear to be trying to mount the hen.

Maybe, he associates me with food, or something. I've read where roos let hens eat first, but my roo is always right there in front when I bring treats. That's when he is really nasty to the hens. He "pinches" them like a goose would do. Maybe he wants all the food to himself.

4. LovinMyChickies

May 13, 2008
    Redding, California
    Quote:Should I shoo him away?

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    After having a problem with one of my roosters thinking he was higher in the pecking order than I am, I no longer allow either roo to attempt to mate in front of me. Obviously he's still gonna try when I'm not around. The first time I literally shoved Zeus off of a hen, he gave me a look that was priceless. [​IMG]

6. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    He's starting to mature, and its about as awkward as a 7th grade school dance, he has an urge, but doesn't understand why or how to go about it.

Over the next few weeks he'll figure it out and not be so rough on them.

Its never easy being a teenager, not even if you're a chicken.

7. LovinMyChickies

May 13, 2008
    Redding, California
    Thanks, That's helpful information.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by